Frustrating

xBapes

Location (City and/or State)
Cockeysville, MD
So I’m just about on week 2 and Iggy has only taken a bite of cantaloupe here and there. I tried the turtle diet recommended on here in the link but he just walks away from it. He won’t eat worms...I am just getting frustrated and I feel like I am doing wrong and more wrong and he just hates me [emoji17] I know it’s tough to keep any kind of reptile as my Russian Tortoise was extra picky but this is becoming disheartening.

I’ve added a couple more fake plants in his enclosure, the fogger is working well and keeping the humidity stable, temps are great...he likes to dig under a set of random leaves and I often see him awake at around 5-6am which is a step forward to him just never coming out. I’ve even tested feeding him early since they seem to come out in the early morning after a good mist (immitation rain) [emoji31] I don’t know how long Box Turtles can go without eating enough but maybe I’m overreacting or worrying too much. I just feel like he needs some type of protein at this point. I mean 2 weeks and just a few to little nibbles of cantaloupe here and there just makes me feel like something is wrong.

Yeah I’m a crazy concerned hypochondriac Turtle dad [emoji23] can someone please put my mind at ease?

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Turtles hate change. It can take weeks for them to adjust. Keep offering the correct foods, switch them up a bit, and eventually he will eat. Reptiles can go a while without eating. Don't stress him out, provide a lot of plants for him to hide under.

Thanks Colleen, I’ve been doing my best to keep him stress free I have about 4-5 fake plants in his enclosure which I can fit in there. He seems to enjoy the leaf litter the most. I think I scared him today as I dropped the mister into the enclosure by accident because I tripped over my chocolate lab [emoji23] he’s been hiding under the log since then. Sooooo he was doing better with being visible until then lol. I’ve been trying to interact minimally but when I do he actually lets me pet/massage his head without very much fear. I don’t think he was interacted much at the Exotic store he was housed at as he had multiple ones for sale so I’m sure there was no one on one with him. I’m trying to build a circle of trust with him [emoji16]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My box turtles (and I have quite a few) don't care much for apple.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
My box turtles (and I have quite a few) don't care much for apple.

I’ll try it just this once, maybe he’ll like it. I thought of buying some sweet potatoes from the green valley market right down the street from my apartment. They sell it in the produce section pre cut in chunks and it’s organic

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Mine love Sweet potato, but prefer it cooked and cooled so it's soft.

Shockingly he’s eaten two chunks of apple this morning so far. I had bought some Organic gala apples from the store the other day. I have a few blueberries, cantaloupe, and some butternut squash on there as well. So far I at least know he likes apples and cantaloupe. I’m likely going to just have to keep trying different things until I get what he likes the most. Iggy has been lingering by the dish since I put it in there this morning. He’s a complicated little thing I swear.. lol

NickA

Mid Atlantic
I would put some large crickets in his enclosure idk why but it seems to trigger there hunting instinct. Box turtles are a lot more temperature sensitive when it comes to eating then most turtles and tortoises. I could prolly put my sulcatas out in a blizzard with some greens in front of them and they would eat them. My box turtles on the other hand won’t usually eat in anything less then 78 degrees.