Tortoise owner for 12 years

Gemini 16

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
My tortoise name is Gemini, I somewhat kidnapped him from my sons 2nd grade teacher. She picked him up off a highway in Utah.
I worked at the school and watched how she was caring for him. It was all wrong!
He was in the wrong bedding, she fed him strawberry yogurt he had no light , and a giant dog bowel with water he could climb.
I observed he was not well.
I told her I was going to take to a vet, she didn’t object.
I took him and he was on deaths door.
I took him home with meds to inject set him up in pen that made sense fed him what wild tortoise eat , live bait and greens and he loves strawberries.
He has thrived in my care, I’m madly in love with him . I’m sure he’ll out live me. I’ve had him for 14 years.
Glad I’m here with you all.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you for saving him. Pictures please

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hey...this reads Tortoise contests...where's the contest??? lol...a moderator will move it...welcome... Sulcata rule...

norma.b

St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa
It was a beautiful hingback , probably a male. It walked into my garden so I researced all about it,fed it it a short while and released it back into the wild which I hope was the right thing to do. I'm sure it was a wild tort that someone took out of a park and dumped near my house. It was healthy and loved mushrooms and butternut. I enjoyed its visit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise name is Gemini, I somewhat kidnapped him from my sons 2nd grade teacher. She picked him up off a highway in Utah.
I worked at the school and watched how she was caring for him. It was all wrong!
He was in the wrong bedding, she fed him strawberry yogurt he had no light , and a giant dog bowel with water he could climb.
I observed he was not well.
I told her I was going to take to a vet, she didn’t object.
I took him and he was on deaths door.
I took him home with meds to inject set him up in pen that made sense fed him what wild tortoise eat , live bait and greens and he loves strawberries.
He has thrived in my care, I’m madly in love with him . I’m sure he’ll out live me. I’ve had him for 14 years.
Glad I’m here with you all.
What species are we talking about?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was a beautiful hingback , probably a male. It walked into my garden so I researced all about it,fed it it a short while and released it back into the wild which I hope was the right thing to do. I'm sure it was a wild tort that someone took out of a park and dumped near my house. It was healthy and loved mushrooms and butternut. I enjoyed its visit.
Norma, I think you've posted on the wrong thread. The owner of this thread, Gemini 16, says they have had the turtle for 14 years. In aid of having more clarity I'll move the thread to box turtles because it looks like Gemini has left the building, along with Elvis!