Funded Master's Assistantship at Purdue U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
FYI:

MASTERS ASSISTANTSHIP - EASTERN BOX TURTLES
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana

Job Description: A fully-funded Masters position focusing on Eastern Box Turtles is available beginning January 2009. A highly motivated student is sought to evaluate the effects of various timber harvesting regimes on the ecology of Eastern Box Turtles. The student will utilize radio telemetry data for direct assessment of the seasonal and spatial movement patterns, habitat use, and home-range size of Eastern Box Turtles in relation to various timber harvesting regimes within the state of Indiana. This project will largely be field oriented with extensive travel to field sites during the summer months. Transportation and off-campus housing will be provided.

Qualifications: Students with a strong interest in herpetology and prior field experience are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have a strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a research team. Good interpersonal skills are essential. The selected student will work closely with a diverse group of state wildlife biologists and supervise field technicians. Prior experience with radio telemetry and/or GIS would be beneficial but not required. Potential applicants are encouraged to visit

http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/students/graduate.shtml

to ensure they meet the minimum departmental requirements for admission.

To apply, electronically submit a cover letter stating research and career interests, CV (including cumulative GPA and GRE scores), and contact information for three references to Dr. Rod Williams ([email protected]).

Salary: ~$17,000/year

Last Date to Apply: 31 October 2008

Rod Williams
[email protected]
765-494-3568
http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/faculty/williams/index.shtml

Purdue University is an equal access/equal opportunity/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
sweet, i go to purdue but i dont believe we have wild box turtles anywhere around us?

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Eastern box turtles occur in Indiana. The study probably takes place at a natural area somewhere in the vicinity of Purdue.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Michael is correct. Eastern Box turtles range throughout Indiana and you also are on the eastern edge of the Ornates range. I have seen Easterns in suitable habitat from the Michigan border (Pohagon state park to the Ohio River).

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
i guess i just haven't been blessed with the opportunity yet. hopfully i'll get a chance sometime, im up in the north eastern part of the state

Status
Not open for further replies.