Funny Desert story

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I was reading through a lot of the tread’s here today and I remembered a funny story that happened to me about 6 years ago. Anyway I thought I might share it.

I was working out in the desert near NASAs Rocket test site east of Edwards Air Force Base and I heard a lot of explosions all week long. Then on my last day there as I was driving along a dirt road, I came upon a person in a full hasmat suit with gloves and face mask. There was also a large shipping container on the road with a large radioactive hazard symbol on it and the guy was holding some sort of antenna in the air with some electronic equipment.

He was waving me around him and I just didn’t know what to think. And then I thought about all those explosions I heard all week long and I started to panic. I was wondering if I was exposed to something like radiation or something and was I going to die. I was just about to take off to the nearest hospital when the guy came to identify himself.

He said he was surveying desert tortoises. I was so panicked that I can’t remember who he worked for the federal or state government, but I was very suspicious and I immediately started asking what all his equipment was for.

He said the antenna was to track the whereabouts of any tortoises and the hazmat suit was protect them from any contaminates. I them asked about the container with a large radioactive hazard symbol and he said he first checked inside the females to see if they had eggs and if they did he would use the portable x-ray machine to count the eggs.

I’ll tell you I was so relieved that I wasn’t exposed to something deadly that I could’ve kissed the guy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I was reading through a lot of the tread’s here today and I remembered a funny story that happened to me about 6 years ago. Anyway I thought I might share it.

I was working out in the desert near NASAs Rocket test site east of Edwards Air Force Base and I heard a lot of explosions all week long. Then on my last day there as I was driving along a dirt road, I came upon a person in a full hasmat suit with gloves and face mask. There was also a large shipping container on the road with a large radioactive hazard symbol on it and the guy was holding some sort of antenna in the air with some electronic equipment.

He was waving me around him and I just didn’t know what to think. And then I thought about all those explosions I heard all week long and I started to panic. I was wondering if I was exposed to something like radiation or something and was I going to die. I was just about to take off to the nearest hospital when the guy came to identify himself.

He said he was surveying desert tortoises. I was so panicked that I can’t remember who he worked for the federal or state government, but I was very suspicious and I immediately started asking what all his equipment was for.

He said the antenna was to track the whereabouts of any tortoises and the hazmat suit was protect them from any contaminates. I them asked about the container with a large radioactive hazard symbol and he said he first checked inside the females to see if they had eggs and if they did he would use the portable x-ray machine to count the eggs.

I’ll tell you I was so relieved that I wasn’t exposed to something deadly that I could’ve kissed the guy.

Glad you are not glowing....but still suspicious just the same....lol...

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
LOL! I don’t know about glowing but once I got up in the middle of the night and there was blue flashing light from my body as I was climbing out of the sheets. I didn’t know if I were still dreaming or something from the supernatural was in bed with me.

My wife told me in the morning she just bought new sheets and they had a lot of static electricity. :rolleyes:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here is a fun desert thing to checkout, most of the nocturnal arachnids of the desert are phosphorescent. Take a black light out with you and look at all the glowing scorpions running around. I'm not sure why they developed this, but it's there just he same.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Here is a fun desert thing to checkout, most of the nocturnal arachnids of the desert are phosphorescent. Take a black light out with you and look at all the glowing scorpions running around. I'm not sure why they developed this, but it's there just he same.
That sounds interesting and I’ll have to check that out.

I do go in to the desert at night occasionally to experience the serenity. It’s just so amazing and you can almost hear the universe around you.

I would spend a lot more time out there at night, but it’s pretty scary in the desert at night. You just never know what you’re going to find. I came across a crazed meth head once and I was lucky to get away from him. He just popped up out of nowhere without any vehicles to be seen and I don’t know if he was just walking across the desert or what.

And there are snakes which I really have a problem with and don’t get out of the truck until I’m sure it clear.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
All you need is a black light, and watch them glow! On a side note, in regard to scorpions, a good rule of thumb is the smaller the pincher, the stronger the sting. This has to do with holding on to prey and disabling it with the sting or disabling it with force.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That sounds interesting and I’ll have to check that out.

I do go in to the desert at night occasionally to experience the serenity. It’s just so amazing and you can almost hear the universe around you.

I would spend a lot more time out there at night, but it’s pretty scary in the desert at night. You just never know what you’re going to find. I came across a crazed meth head once and I was lucky to get away from him. He just popped up out of nowhere without any vehicles to be seen and I don’t know if he was just walking across the desert or what.

And there are snakes which I really have a problem with and don’t get out of the truck until I’m sure it clear.

This is the only threat I do not enjoy....the rest are usually manageable....be careful...