Funny quirks!

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So even though we have only had Rocky a couple days now I’m already falling in love with this little guy. And I have noticed some of the cutest personality quirks.

He is still a little nervous in our home, so he doesn’t eat much or often. But when he does he will take a bite of two the. Walk away and wipe at his mouth like he doesn’t want it to be dirty. Then he just goes about his day.

Next is when he is basking he likes to stretch his neck out as far as he can to soak in all that heat. He will even go to the wall and rest his head stretched out on the side.

What are some cute little quirks your tortoises have?

drew54

Indiana
He will perk up. Just make sure his temps are all right.

Nyx just recently started making resting spots throughout the enclosure. It's like she wants to burrow but doesn't know how. I don't know if this is normal or what.

She also is getting into the habit of running to her food dish and will try to eat when I go to soak her. Some days she loves to soak and others she hates it.
IMG_0903.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
When my tortoise wipes her face after eating, it means she didn’t like it. If it’s really bad, she’ll stop mid chew and spit out that first bite. Is Rocky wiping his face after trying everything on his plate? Or just a few of the different kinds of food?

Perhaps you’re feeding him some kind of pellet food that you’ve moistened and it’s sticking to his face?

Our tortoise loves to skid off big rocks in the garden. Like a slide. And this week she’s knocked the tortoise cam down five days running. We finally figured out she was trying to use it as a jumping off place to our screen door. She is desparately trying to get into the house (whatever is on the other side of the door, she doesn’t care) and will use whatever leverage she can get. We moved the camera yesterday, lol.

Violanna

Texas
When my tortoise wipes her face after eating, it means she didn’t like it. If it’s really bad, she’ll stop mid chew and spit out that first bite. Is Rocky wiping his face after trying everything on his plate? Or just a few of the different kinds of food?

Perhaps you’re feeding him some kind of pellet food that you’ve moistened and it’s sticking to his face?

Our tortoise loves to skid off big rocks in the garden. Like a slide. And this week she’s knocked the tortoise cam down five days running. We finally figured out she was trying to use it as a jumping off place to our screen door. She is desparately trying to get into the house (whatever is on the other side of the door, she doesn’t care) and will use whatever leverage she can get. We moved the camera yesterday, lol.

So far he hasn’t eaten any of the food I’ve put on his plate, I’m trying a different food everyday but nothing too varied yet. He has only bit on the pansy and thistle I have planted.

drew54

Indiana
Most likely is adjusting to his new home. Just keep putting him in front of his food. Is this a hatchling?

Violanna

Texas
Most likely is adjusting to his new home. Just keep putting him in front of his food. Is this a hatchling?

No he is an adult. Rosemary was right I think because he LOVED the mustard greens I just gave him! Here is a very blurry picture of his first ‘escape’ attempt [emoji23]. I was sitting far back where he couldn’t see me so I had to zoom all the way in
IMG_4167.jpg

drew54

Indiana
He is a good looking little dude. Do you know what the previous owners fed him? Also, watch him closely climbing on inclines he could flip himself.