Fussy tortoise

I've had Shirley about 18 months (she is three and a hermann), and last summer I wasn't really geared up to growing her food so she was predominantly fed from bought bags of salad from the super market (florette crispy, as I've seen recommended on this website) and the odd dandelion that I found. I'm still working on my plant identification but dandelions are a pretty easy spot!

This year, I have been able to grow some bits for Shirley - radish tops, some tortoise mix seed, strawberry leaves, geranium leaves, snapdragons etc. The problem is she just isn't interested in any of it and won't touch it. She's not ill and will still eat the bagged stuff so not an issue with temperature/humidity, these are all fine and unchanged. I've even grown some of the same stuff as comes in the bag (radicchio and lamb's lettuce) and she still won't eat it. I'm concerned that she is not getting enough variety in her diet if I just continue with the bought stuff.

Is Shirley just spoilt by posh supermarket salad? My instinct tells me to persist in trying my grown stuff (surely (don't call me Shirley) she will eat it when she gets really hungry?), but she's already lost a bit of weight so I don't want to push it. Any suggestions? Mixing my stuff in with bought stuff? Any one else had these issues?

Nicole M

5 Year Member
I've had Shirley about 18 months (she is three and a hermann), and last summer I wasn't really geared up to growing her food so she was predominantly fed from bought bags of salad from the super market (florette crispy, as I've seen recommended on this website) and the odd dandelion that I found. I'm still working on my plant identification but dandelions are a pretty easy spot!

This year, I have been able to grow some bits for Shirley - radish tops, some tortoise mix seed, strawberry leaves, geranium leaves, snapdragons etc. The problem is she just isn't interested in any of it and won't touch it. She's not ill and will still eat the bagged stuff so not an issue with temperature/humidity, these are all fine and unchanged. I've even grown some of the same stuff as comes in the bag (radicchio and lamb's lettuce) and she still won't eat it. I'm concerned that she is not getting enough variety in her diet if I just continue with the bought stuff.

Is Shirley just spoilt by posh supermarket salad? My instinct tells me to persist in trying my grown stuff (surely (don't call me Shirley) she will eat it when she gets really hungry?), but she's already lost a bit of weight so I don't want to push it. Any suggestions? Mixing my stuff in with bought stuff? Any one else had these issues?
Sounds to me like you already know the answer! I have the same our men with my tortoise, and most people here on the forum have had to contend with this issue at some point (or likely at many different points).

Yes, your tortoise is spoiled by the sweet grocery greens, and your instincts are right in telling you to push forward with the weeds and homegrown stuff. The best thing you can to is to introduce the new stuff slowly. Chop everything up very small (adding in a small amount of the newer food), and mix it all together wet so that it sticks together and your tort can't pick around it. If the tortoise eats it, then increase the amount of homegrown things/weeds at the next feeding. If not, then feed the same ratio until the tortoise begins to eat. You've got to be tough, and you can't give in!

Tortoises can go a long while without food, and this is likely to result in a hunger strike for at least a few days. This is fine, as long as you keep your tort well-hydrated! I'd recommend daily soaks for 20-30min during this time.

I'm sure this will be a frustrating process, as torts are VERY stubborn! I'm going through the same with my Russian right now. Just know that we're all here to support you through this. Godspeed!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I think many of us have had these issues. I know I did!

In addition to the above advice, one of the things that worked for me was mixing in only one or two new food swith her meals until she got more flexible about trying new things. I switched them up, just didn't add five new things at once.

Hot weather helped my tort's appetite quite a bit, as she was more active. Does Shirley get to go outside in the summer?

I'd refuse to try any radical new diet that was forced on me; I don't expect a tortoise to be any different. :)

Stay strong; it will get better in time. If I had a nickel for all the things I worried my Russian might not ever do but did, I'd be rich!

Thanks for the support. I'm a stubborn man, but worried Shirley might have the edge.
She's had a few days outside so far this summer, and seems really spritely. Just won't eat the food I've lovingly grown for her!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no matter how stubborn you may think you are tortoises are more. your tortoise will push you to the Limit and Beyond. just hang in there and mix the stuff in slowly a healthy tortoise will not starve itself

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy tried training me to think all he would eat was Mazuri pellets ! After a little hunger strike he figured out that what I put out was a lot better than nothing ! You need to say "I am feeding him/her they are refusing to eat what is offered !" Sort of a who is training who situation ! :)