Future location for Redfoot enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I have an area outside that could be roughly 60'x15' of enclosure. The space would be under a huge pepper tree and grape vines.

Would this be a safe spot? I know the grape vines are fine but I was worried about the tree.

I love the shaded area. I would eventually put in a secure house for night with added heat.
dfipgo.jpg

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Alan would love the shade of that tree! I think it's a nice location with a bit of an enclosure so no escapes! :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Thanks. We have 2 acres and it has taken me a year to find an area to build the enclosure. I didn't want to waste time dreaming and planning for nothing. The hardest part for me is protecting them from my dogs. So this big space will be a challenge.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is a GREAT BIG Australian pepper tree in my box turtle pen and it has not been a problem. I really doubt if the tree is edible, as it smells pretty pungent, but the turtles don't even try to eat it. And all the leaves that fall to the ground help to make the "substrate" (ground) nice and dig-able.

I just had a visit from a gal who brought me some baby box turtles, and while we were out back admiring my new puppy (did I tell you all I got a puppy?), she mentioned something about hot wire around her box turtle pen. I asked if she had problems with 'possums and skunks, etc. but she said, no, the hot wire was for the dogs. She said to get the dogs to realize the wire was there, they placed the dog bones close to the base of the pen and they would accidentally get zapped when getting the bone. Dogs learn very quickly to associate the zap with the wire. And its not dangerous or deadly. Its a pulse and they jump away from the shock.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
It looks like a good spot. Although what jumped out to mewas that it looks like a really dry area. If you do use the spot than you may want to install a sprinkled system to help keep the humidity up for your redfoots.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
jrcrist4 said:
It looks like a good spot. Although what jumped out to mewas that it looks like a really dry area. If you do use the spot than you may want to install a sprinkled system to help keep the humidity up for your redfoots.

Your right it is very dry. Keeping them wet is my full time job even with misters. We will also put in a new junction box for the heated house .

Status
Not open for further replies.