Fuzzy's Vet Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, I finally got the results of all the lab work the Vets did when I took Fuzzy and Woody to the Vet last Friday.

Woody's thyroid is fine (Yay, I didn't want to have to give him thyroid med's on top of his epilepsy meds anyway)

Fuzzy though has kidney disease and a urinary tract problem. They are not sure which caused which and want to do more tests. So, I'll be taking her for a urinalisys Saturday. I'm kinda ticked off though, 'cause my vet was off Mon/Tues and the other Vets didn't read the test results. If they had, the lab could have used the "sample" they already had, but, now its too old. Oh well, its just $$, right? They say the lab will test to find out the proper medication to use to help clear up the infection, and, hopefully that will help with the kidney disease.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to give meds to a cat? I've never had to medicate her before, and, I'm sure she won't take it in a piece of cheese like the dogs do LOL

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Robyn~! I'm hoping it will be a liquid med. I hate trying to shove pills down their throats. Fuzzy is a pretty finicky cat, plus I worry about hurting her.

Woody has taken daily meds for years, and luckily, he loves to get some cheese with a pill in it, too bad cats aren't like dogs.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a 27 pound cat who has diabetes. He gets urinary tract infections regularly so not only do I have to give him insulin injections I have to give meds for the UTI and now he has a cold. So take it from me liquid meds are easier to give, just be sure to hold a towel under his chin and hold his head back...this medicine tastes and smells like fried chicken...but it doesn't mean he takes it any easier...lol

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If it is pills, ask vet for a pill gun. To open mouth, grasp cat behind ears, pull head back (this causes cat's mouth to open), insert gun with pill and shoot. When giving liquid medicine, always give in left side of mouth on back of tongue (this avoids windpipe). If cat refuses to swallow, hold mouth shut and gently blow in nostral (this causes involuntary swallow reflex).

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Maggie~! Fuzzy is small (only 5 lbs), but, she can be a real fighter, so a towel will definitely be necessary. I'm hoping for liquids.

Larry, I never heard of a pill gun. I'll have to ask the vet if we end up with pills. Sounds much easier than sticking my fingers in her mouth.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Alyce
I am sorry to hear to hear your cat has to take medication. Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.