Catching up.....our new addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
Well I have been a little busy getting ready for our vacation and then I had a terrible intermittent internet connection when were on vacation (so much for that verizon commercial)

A few weeks ago my daughter convinced my husband to let her go get a chocolate lab that was at the local pound. Well of course the puppy was gone by the time she got there. Long story short 2 days later she found Bella at a different pound. The pound said they thought Bella had Kennel cough and recommended a vet visit. (Like we wouldn't take her anyway) They had her in a kennel with 3 other puppies and sent home no medications. No cough or discharge from her nose, but she went to the vet the next day for a once over and was given a clean bill of health. No office charge for the well puppy check, except the fecal and her first shots (42.00). The 2nd full day we had her I came home from work and she had a nasty runny nose. So day 3 off to the vet again. This time 79.00 for antibiotics (Keflex) and the office visit. Still doesn't appear to be Kennel cough, just a respitory infection or possibly she had been on antibiotics and they were stopped too soon. Vet says our 8 year old Lab, Puppadog, should be ok better immune system and up to date on her shots. Day 4 Puppadog sneezes a few times. Day 5 Puppadog is hacking and coughing and has a nasty runny nose. Day 6 morning Puppadog goes to the vet (450.00). Xrays, nebulizer, Baytril, a muscle relaxer for the lung spasms and an anti nausea. The coughing has caused vomiting. She has borderline pneumonia and stops eating for 3 days. The puppy meanwhile has gotten better. The week of Baytril etc made Puppadog better but not well. So off to the vet again and now a round of Keflex and a pill (?) for her cough (another 110.00). Good news is everyone is all better now after about 3 weeks. Bella is a very smart and fits in very well. She has learned from Puppadog it is good to lay down and eat dinner and naps are good. :p

Bella napping
Bella.jpg

Bella2.jpg

Bella and Puppadog hanging out
BellaandPuppa.jpg

Bella is a Lab Mix, possibly with a Lab/Australian Shepherd.

Dawna

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awwwww Dawna ! I am so glad to hear Bella is doing better :) She is very very cute ! I love your lab Puppadog ! Such a cool name and such a beauty!
I WANT A DOGGGGYYYY! Hehe

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Dawna
I am really happy that Bella and Puppadog are doing better, they look really cute :D
Congrats on the new addition :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its great that they get along so well. I have two dogs and they would NEVER allow each other to get that close to each other while sleeping. "Get out of my space!!"

Glad things are back to normal at your house. Too bad about the large vet bill. I wish there were a reasonably priced pet insurance!

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Sounds like a nasty strain of Kennel cough. Glad its all over..
No such thing as a 'free' dog. Not saying Bella was, but so many people want free dogs cause they can afford food, but not to 'pay' for the dog... Then something like this happens and instead of caring for it, they get rid of it..
Your dogs are LUCKY!!!! thank you.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I am a sucker for my pets. Puppadog had started limping a couple of years ago after we had a bunch of people over on the weekend. We went to the vet and 2200.00 later she had her knee surgically rebuilt. We had checked into pet insurance and found you paid more for the insurance than the average vet bills are over the lifetime of the pet. But who said my pets were average. :p

Dawna

FYI Bella is 3-4 months old and looks like she is full sized (except the puppy teeth). The vet thinks she will be about 80 lbs when full grown.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dawna, great looking four legged furry kids you got there. I love the white muzzle tip on Bella. And who could resist puppadog. Looks like you may have two good sized dogs on your hands, lucky you. :) I agree with Yvonne. I have two smaller dogs and they can cost a bunch. but heck they are part of the family. Congrats on your new edition :D

M

Maggie Cummings

They are just so cute! I keep thinking I want a dog...but then I get better sense. :D I couldn't walk a dog and don't have the patience to train one anymore. There is a senior Golden Retriever rescue here and I tell myself I could foster a senior Golden. They are great dogs and a senior wouldn't be too active...I might do that...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dawna, was it the Downey Humane Society or San Gabriel or South Pasadena that you got Bella from? Did you take the dogs to Dr. Pavlik or no? Sorry to hear about what you and the dogs had to go through it didn't sound like very much fun. I'm glad they are doing better now.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
It was Downey. Nicole looked at all of them before we got her there. Dr. Pavlik wasn't in so one of the other Dr saw them. As I said she likes to lay down to eat, as taught by Puppadog.

CIMG1502.jpg

Dawna

Nicole checked all of them before she found Bella at the Downey pound. Dr Pavlik was out so one of the other Dr's saw them. Here is Bella laying down eating, as taught by Puppadog.

CIMG1502.jpg

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.