Home shots for dogs

swatsx

5 Year Member
So, I got a 4 year old lab / shepherd mix off Craigslist. She did not come with any shot records. My vet wants to get all her shots done just to be safe (she does have rabies) i saw at tractor supply that they sell vacation shots for dogs has anyone ever done this before?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
No, but why not just go to one of the vaccine clinics at one of the petstores? If it were me, i would get the vaccines since you have no history, but then after this booster for rabies only.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have about 40 dogs and cats at the company I work for. We can't afford to have the vets do routine vaccines for us. We order syringes and vaccines in bulk from Jeffers and do it ourselves. We've all been trained how to do it, and we do it under the guidance of our vet and with his blessing. Rabies has to be done by the vet because we need the Rabies cert from the vet to travel.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I have done it before and a lot of dog breeders and dog showers do their own. Just be sure you know how to do it and buy from a reputable place.
One thing you may want to look into first. If you ever have to board the dog or leave it over night at the vets, they may not except the fact that you gave your own shots. I don't know, never ran into either situation.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I did it when I was breeding my dogs , but for one dog I just get it done at the Vet when they have a shot clinic !

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The trouble with vaccines from a farm store is you don't know how they have been handled. Some vaccs aren't very stable and have to remain refrigerated and there is no way of knowing if they were or not. There is also a risk of you handling them improperly (not mixing properly, not injecting properly, etc)

If you got a new dog I'd take it to the vet for a new pet check and to update the vaccinations at least for the first year just to establish a baseline in case you need to visit the vet in the future.