Snake bite vaccines for dogs?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Has anyone ever gotten snake bite vaccines for your dogs. My lab rides the atv with me a lot in the swamps running traps and such. I’m scared to take him this time of year because of the snakes. A friend suggested the vaccine but has never tried it with his dogs. I was just wondering how effective they were.
Not that I’m gonna turn them loose in the swamp, but might give me a little peace of mind.
We currently put out snake deterrents and I put out my king snakes sheds around the house. I’m not sure how effective they are. But it makes me feel better.
Thanks

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I had never heard of any snake bite vaccine before, then I did a quick search online.

I'd trust the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) information. I know your question is about your dog, but if you want more information, start with the equine vets. The horse industry and equine medicine drive a lot medical advancements that may also benefit other species. Besides, many horse people are dog people, so they're likely to be familiar with the canine side of things.

I'm including information from AAEP in/from the below link.

https://aaep.org/guidelines/vaccination-guidelines/risk-based-vaccination-guidelines/snake-bite

From the above link:

Venomous snake bite of equids occurs in certain areas of North America. The risk of rattlesnake envenomation may justify the use of Crotalus atrox (Western Diamondback Rattlesnake) toxoid vaccine in equids. Pre-exposure vaccination may be recommended for those animals in geographic areas or for those traveling to areas where exposure to venomous snakes justifies vaccine usage.

Vaccine:

There is one conditionally licensed inactivated (Crotalus atrox Toxoid) vaccine for use in healthy horses 6 months of age or older as an aid in the reduction of morbidity and mortality due to intoxication with Crotalus atrox toxin.

The label claim for the vaccine is that it may also provide protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific varieties), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead. Partial protection may be obtained against Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. This vaccine does not provide protection against venom from the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snake.

Personal opinion... I don't know how much of a benefit the vaccination would be for dogs in South Carolina. In North Florida, I'd say it has too many holes in its coverage... as it doesn't protect against water moccasins or coral snakes, and its protection against Eastern diamondback rattlesnakes is partial at best.

Again, a good large animal veterinarian would be able to help you with the risk assessment and cost-benefit analysis.

Another resource would be your local cooperative extension service (talk to their livestock person).

Bottom line, if it isn't worth it to vaccinate the horses in your neck of the woods, it probably isn't worth it to vaccinate dogs there, either.

That's just my two cents.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We use it out here. Anecdotal evidence from users and vets I know suggest that it does help if a bite occurs. The only venomous snakes we have out this way are rattlesnakes. Primarily southern pacifics in my immediate area, but also Mojave greens and western diamondbacks.