Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Can anyone give me advice on an injured dog?
I am not even sure were to started but I will do my best.
I have a 7 year old Rat Terrier. Before we bought him we researched breeds but not breeders and ended up with a dog that has some social problems ,but is great with our family and most kids. The Vets here will not see him though, so I have a mobile Vet come to the house to give him his shots.
My family was on vacation this week in Hawaii and Friday my mom who was staying with my animals called to say Buddy was outside the night before (she was outside too watering) and yelped and then fell down the bank ( about 6' not too steep) and could not move his leg. I got home this morning and this is what I have abserved.
He can not move one back leg at all.
He can hardly move around and drags his back legs one more than the other.
He can only scoot about 5 feet.
He will only eat if I hand feed him and won't drink.
Crawls and snaps when I pick him up unless I pick him up under his front legs. Baby asprin seems to help. That is what the vet said to give him.
I am not sure if he stepped on a rattler or something and got bit or if he stepped on a sticker and hurt his back rolling down the bank. He has not fallen down the bank before and was a sure footed dog. In fact the kids used to laugh about how he walkked around the house an yard like a mountain goat.
I do plan to try and get him in to a vet monday.
Does anyone have any adice or suggestions??????

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am very sorry about your dog. We had a Rat Terrier for 14 years. You really should have taken him to a Vet immediately. I would never wait until Mon. He sounds like he is in a lot of pain. Isn't there any way you can get him to the vet now. If he were mine, I wouldn't be guessing....I would have him at the Vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds more like a spine or back problem. Have you ever thrown you back out? I'd be snappy too.

About the temperament, what I want to know is, how is the prey drive? Does he want to kill things? Not related to your problem, just curious.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Terry~ I was in Hawaii. My mom called me crying because the vet here said they would not see him and the mobile vet that he usually sees didn't have time for him and thought he needed X-rays anyway. My mom could not pick him up either she was afraid of getting bit. He is not crying or whimpering as long as he has the baby asprin.

Tom~ You could be right about the spine injury, but I am sure he was hurt on the foot first, because he yelped and moved aways before falling. He had a Rattle Snake vacination a few months ago. So I am wondering if a venomous bite might paralize but not killed him.
As for his killing instinks. He is an amazing hunter. The funny thing is that he will throw his kill to the Alfa Male after, usualy my Lab but once shook a gofer and killed it with one shake then with the next move through it and hit my husband in the chest. It was great.
He is very smart though and stays away from reptiles. I think he was probably bit by a not poison one.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Is his leg swollen or deformed in any way? How bout his toes? If not it could be a spine injury. Hope you can get him to a vet soon. Poor little guy, keep us updated.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
His toes seem a little swollen on the foot that seems completly paralized. Should I give him something to sedate him before I take him in? If so what? He will bite a vet, even on a good day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The vets and vet techs know how to handle dogs like that. Little dogs are pretty easy. Just warn them as soon as you get there. I wouldn't give him any kind of sedation.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks. I think I need to take him to a vet out of Ramona. He has a bad rep up here.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
You can muzzle him if you have to. Even nice dogs will sometimes bite when they are hurt. If you cant get him to a vet today I would muzzle and try to ice that leg. Swelling on a nerve could be causing paralysis. If you need to give the baby aspirin but not Tylenol or anything that contains acetaminophen it can be deadly to dogs. I would fill a deep bowl with ice and water and see if you can get him to stand in it to help relieve the swelling. I hope he will be ok, keep us updated.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I didn't think about ice. I have the ice peas that you refridgerate so they are not as cold. My boys play sports, so we are always icing something

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
If you need to give the baby aspirin but not Tylenol or anything that contains acetaminophen it can be deadly to dogs.

Isn't 'baby aspirin' actually Tylenol/acetaminophen? Because I know children under 18 are not supposed to have actual aspirin because it can cause some kind of serious problem (I think liver)... so any 'baby aspirin' would actually be Tylenol or possibly Motrin.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
I have a rat terrier/chi mix and it sounds like what she did about 6 years ago. We aren't sure what happened, but it was exactly like you described. We took her to the vet and they said that she had a herniated disk. The vet gave her steriods and after 3 days she was able to use her back legs again. She has aggravated two more times and one vet advised (after the steriods start too take affect) to gently massage it which she loves. She hasn't hurt it in awhile but we have to be careful with her, she isn't allowed to jump up or down if we can stop her, regular walks, and has to take everything easy.

I hope yours feels better soon.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
MaddieLynn said:
If you need to give the baby aspirin but not Tylenol or anything that contains acetaminophen it can be deadly to dogs.

Isn't 'baby aspirin' actually Tylenol/acetaminophen? Because I know children under 18 are not supposed to have actual aspirin because it can cause some kind of serious problem (I think liver)... so any 'baby aspirin' would actually be Tylenol or possibly Motrin.

Aspirin does not contain Acetaminophen.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Most people do not give children baby asprin any more because it can cause something called Rye Syndrom ( I am not sure how to say or spell it ) instead doctors recomend Tylenol or Advil.
I think now days baby asprin is used mostly for people who are worried about heart problems and for dogs. The Vet said NO tylenol.
Mortomor's Mom~ It sounds like you could be right. He has always had a bit of a limp on and off. When he was a baby the vet said it was something he will always have. I can't remember what he called it.
Due to medical problems with my husband ( Kidney Stones ) and me ( bad head cold ) he has not been to the vet yet.
He does seem to be doing better, but as soon as I can think clearly I will take him to the Vet.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks Terry. That was a great web page. Good to know.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Angi said:
Most people do not give children baby asprin any more because it can cause something called Rye Syndrom ( I am not sure how to say or spell it ) instead doctors recomend Tylenol or Advil.
I think now days baby asprin is used mostly for people who are worried about heart problems and for dogs. The Vet said NO tylenol.
Mortomor's Mom~ It sounds like you could be right. He has always had a bit of a limp on and off. When he was a baby the vet said it was something he will always have. I can't remember what he called it.
Due to medical problems with my husband ( Kidney Stones ) and me ( bad head cold ) he has not been to the vet yet.
He does seem to be doing better, but as soon as I can think clearly I will take him to the Vet.

Your right Angi kids should not take it now its an old people and dog drug. LOL

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
I knew that Aspirin doesn't contain Acetaminophen - what I didn't know is that there was such a thing as Aspirin in baby doses, because I've heard some people say "Aspirin" when they actually mean Tylenol - lol! I'm glad to know there is a difference! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.