Why does my dog stink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
"Dog Food" has become less a term for what we feed our pets than a way of thinking about canine nutrition. It has become so easy to pull a can off the shelf that we don't even thing about what our pet's dietary needs are. We trust the pet food companies to make these decisions for us. Many of us simply think commercial dog foods are just heavily processed "people food," specifically made for shelf-life and economy, that they promote a healthy animal. Surprisingly enough, despite their availability around the world today, dog foods are a relatively recent invention. Though the first commercial dog food appeared in the 19th century, the use of bagged and canned foods only became popular in the United States after World War II. Before that time dogs simply ate whatever they could find in their environment (with a little help from their friends, of course). For farm dogs this meant raw meat scraps, raw milk, eggs and food found by scavenging. We feed a raw food diet to our animals and our pug no longer scratches himself or has ear infections. We also feed yogurts (watch out for the ones with sugars), cottage cheese, cheese, eggs, salmon, sardines, mackerel, chicken liver and kidney, beef liver and kidney,vegetables, and the occasional banana. I also add garlic to help prevent fleas. They are very happy dogs. Don't forget to add bones to naturally clean their teeth. Watch out for the carbs in commercial dog food. The starches and cellulose in grains and carbohydrates are useful ofr herbivores and humans. Without them we would find it hard to digest and eliinate anything we eat. With dogs it is a much different matter. Since dogs don't have the flat grinding teeth, a long digestive tract, or amylase in their salive, they have a difficult time with diets high in complex carbohydrates. Carbohydrates tend to stay in dogs digestive tract longer, which slows down the digestive process and can cause spasms and irritations in the large intestine as the dog must labor to process them. In the log term, too many carbohydrates can dramatically reduce your dog's quality of life and may result in health complications. As for the shampoo's be very careful what you use on your dog. Too many chemicals in most of them. After reading the last post of yours I would start at a vet first just to make sure everything is alright with you little one first. A would want a couple of tests run and then decide what to do after that. Do your own research on why a dog would smell and then go from there. Good luck to you and your dog. :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
fmadrigal said:
Angi said:
Thank you all for the advice! And I don't know how to cut and paste or refresh. We got a new computer and an updated version of windows and I don't know where anything is. It either double posts or says I already posted and then posts once. I will have my husband look at it. I know it is probably driving people crazy. I dont have problems with F/B or emails with this computer and nobody else in the family has had a problem.

Highlight your text>

THEN ON YOUR KEYBOARD

hit CTRL + c = copy.

Ctrl+v =paste.

F5 = REFRESH.

IT WORKS FOR ALL PC'S EVEN ON DIFFERENT PLATFORMS.

Unless it is a Mac. Then it is Command + C to Copy, Command + V to paste and to refresh you would hit the half circle with an arrow on it located in the upper right of your browser.

Sorry I'm doing this from my phone so it's a little sloppy

[email protected]

5 Year Member
We had a similar problem. We tried shampoos, different foods, etc. No help. Her skin was fine. Vet thought it was anal glands, but she'd start to stink while napping. Decided it had to be gas. Started giving her Probiotic/Digestive Enzymes pill from Petco each morning. Also give her half teaspoon of acidophillus (from Amazon.com) in evening. Problem reduced by 75%.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I see this is an old post, but I do have a couple of things to share with you. Years ago I had a cocker spaniel that has such a strong body odor that I couldn't figure out what to do. Bathing, nothing helped. We didn't want her to be in the house with us because she smelled so bad. The vet said the dog had a vitamin K deficiency. So, I started giving injections of vit K and the odor went away entirely. The other thing is my current toy poodle seemed to have mouth odor even right after his teeth were cleaned, which for some small dogs like his is OFTEN. I decided to try a different dog food to see if that would help. He was eating Science Diet and I switched (slowly gradually) over to Eukenuba. Voila, his mouth odor is 100% better. So, I think it is an individual thing with each dog as to their chemistry and you might have to experiment a little to find just the right thing. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We had a similar problem. We tried shampoos, different foods, etc. No help. Her skin was fine. Vet thought it was anal glands, but she'd start to stink while napping. Decided it had to be gas. Started giving her Probiotic/Digestive Enzymes pill from Petco each morning. Also give her half teaspoon of acidophillus (from Amazon.com) in evening. Problem reduced by 75%.

Hi [email protected]:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Please take a moment to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
DesertGrandma said:
I see this is an old post, but I do have a couple of things to share with you. Years ago I had a cocker spaniel that has such a strong body odor that I couldn't figure out what to do. Bathing, nothing helped. We didn't want her to be in the house with us because she smelled so bad. The vet said the dog had a vitamin K deficiency. So, I started giving injections of vit K and the odor went away entirely. The other thing is my current toy poodle seemed to have mouth odor even right after his teeth were cleaned, which for some small dogs like his is OFTEN. I decided to try a different dog food to see if that would help. He was eating Science Diet and I switched (slowly gradually) over to Eukenuba. Voila, his mouth odor is 100% better. So, I think it is an individual thing with each dog as to their chemistry and you might have to experiment a little to find just the right thing. Good luck.

Joy, that is a very interesting and informative post, thanks. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Does anyone know what foods have vitamin K in them. I guess I could goggle it, but I am feeling kind of lazy.

River14

5 Year Member
Angi I see no oe has menioned this so I will. Everyone always asks how come my dogs dont smell at all, just maybe like sweet hay. We are in the tropics so dogs are often wet and panting and rather pongy.

My asnwer to them is a good diet sure, (I use wolf gold and hills) and never feed left over human food or scraps and cook any meat you treat. But my primary advise is never wash your dog. I never wash my dogs ever. I mean never.

I brush brush and brush. For the short coates I use rubber gloves lightly all over all ways with the hair not against. Next step dip my hands in a bucket of water and then using my bare hands wipe wipe and wipe them down all over untill my hands are sticky (almost dry) and covered in hair. I dip my hands back in the buckets and rub off the gunge then do it again and again until no more dead hair or oily (blackish) substance is coming off my hands. The dog is only ever just slightly damp never wet in this process as after each time you finish wiping it is dry already. Use nice massage strokes with your whole flat hand or if its a litle dog just your fingers.

Last but not least I take a nice large dry towel (slightly coarse one ie not a new one) and polish the dog off using more nice massaging strokes.

I have to tell you your dog wont sink ever again, and will sooooooooo look forward to this treatment (seriously) It will take a bit of time for his coat to recover for you to smell the difference about three to four weeks of no washing.

Obviously if he gets covered in mud then just rinse it off in luke warm water but no soap or detergent shampoo at all.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Different dogs, different cases, I had one dog who smells because of his dog food. When I changed it the smell was gone. Bath is a must in my opinion but it shouldn't be too often, but this really depends on the dog's coat. However, I have one dog who doesn't respond well with shampoos and soaps, I use dry powder shampoo sometimes baking soda and like river14, i wipe her coat down too, but I do give her bath once a month using human baby shampoo, seems to work.

Another thing I tried - this is a debatable topic:

I had a shihtzu who's allergic to every dog food we tried and often smells very bad. There are oils in her hair and red hot spots on her skin. She was tested several times and had bouts of medicines but nothing works. I went online and search around, I found an article about feeding them raw food. So I started that and in just 2 weeks, smell is gone and no allergies too. I mix plain yogurt to grounded meats with bone dust (no fats). I also give chicken liver and heart all raw. Seems gross at first but it's the only thing that worked for her.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Tom said:
Angi said:
It is a body odor. Just a real strong dog odor. I will try and find the shampoo Tom recomended. I also may change his food. He also get an upset stomach about once every other week. I can tell because he won't eat for a day and I can hear his stomach gurgle.

We have around 20-30 dogs at our ranch. We've tried all sorts of different foods over the last 15 years. All of them were "premium" type foods. The fact is that none of them are perfect and all of them worked great for a certain percentage of dogs and all of them caused problems for a certain percentage of dogs. Now we feed Purina ProPlan and its gives us the best results we have ever had, by far. We have a couple of dogs that are on specialty food, but the rest, including my personal dogs are on ProPlan.

Now here's the disclaimer: My wife went to work for Purina, in the Veterinary Diet channel, several years ago. When she told me that she wanted to start feeding our dogs on "Purina" I made that same crinkled nose face that you are probably making. I gave it a chance and I have to admit that I was very wrong. Its good stuff. After seeing my 5 dogs on it for several years, the boss decided to give it a try in the main kennel about a year ago. He, the other trainers and the keepers have all been very pleasantly surprised at the result. Health problems and vet bills have gone down significantly. Coats and skin are great. Energy and enthusiasm are fantastic. Appetite and stools are better than ever.

I used to be very biased against Purina. During my career in the pet trade, I sat through food seminars from ALL the companies, big and small. Honestly, its all hype. Each company thinks their food is better than the competition, and has all sorts of reasons why, and consumers think all sorts of crazy things. Ingredient lists are useless. Look at Mazuri for an example of that. The bottom line is that different foods will work best for different dogs. When you find a food that works for YOUR dog, leave it alone. Of all the foods, from all the brands, I have honestly seen the best overall results from Proplan.

Tom, I too used to feel strongly against Purina, and I have adog training degree as well :) Now I feed my 3 dogs and my 2 cats Purina One and love the results not to mention it save me alot of money campared to Blue Buffalo which I was feeding before. I wonder if her doggy smells are from those bad teeth? Maybe some crucnchy kibble will help. Also try giving the dog those greenies once a week or some bones designed to clean teeth, they have special ones for older dogs that are softer for them to chew on :) good luck. I could never get my Black lab to stop smelling he lived to be 15, great dog, but really greasy coat!

Candy said:
DesertGrandma said:

If it is a vitamin K deficiency could you just add a multi vitamin? I wonder? Great Post

Candy said:
DesertGrandma said:

If it is a vitamin K deficiency could you just add a multi vitamin? I wonder? Great Post

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
wrmitchell22 said:
Tom said:
Angi said:
It is a body odor. Just a real strong dog odor. I will try and find the shampoo Tom recomended. I also may change his food. He also get an upset stomach about once every other week. I can tell because he won't eat for a day and I can hear his stomach gurgle.

We have around 20-30 dogs at our ranch. We've tried all sorts of different foods over the last 15 years. All of them were "premium" type foods. The fact is that none of them are perfect and all of them worked great for a certain percentage of dogs and all of them caused problems for a certain percentage of dogs. Now we feed Purina ProPlan and its gives us the best results we have ever had, by far. We have a couple of dogs that are on specialty food, but the rest, including my personal dogs are on ProPlan.

Now here's the disclaimer: My wife went to work for Purina, in the Veterinary Diet channel, several years ago. When she told me that she wanted to start feeding our dogs on "Purina" I made that same crinkled nose face that you are probably making. I gave it a chance and I have to admit that I was very wrong. Its good stuff. After seeing my 5 dogs on it for several years, the boss decided to give it a try in the main kennel about a year ago. He, the other trainers and the keepers have all been very pleasantly surprised at the result. Health problems and vet bills have gone down significantly. Coats and skin are great. Energy and enthusiasm are fantastic. Appetite and stools are better than ever.

I used to be very biased against Purina. During my career in the pet trade, I sat through food seminars from ALL the companies, big and small. Honestly, its all hype. Each company thinks their food is better than the competition, and has all sorts of reasons why, and consumers think all sorts of crazy things. Ingredient lists are useless. Look at Mazuri for an example of that. The bottom line is that different foods will work best for different dogs. When you find a food that works for YOUR dog, leave it alone. Of all the foods, from all the brands, I have honestly seen the best overall results from Proplan.

Tom, I too used to feel strongly against Purina, and I have adog training degree as well :) Now I feed my 3 dogs and my 2 cats Purina One and love the results not to mention it save me alot of money campared to Blue Buffalo which I was feeding before. I wonder if her doggy smells are from those bad teeth? Maybe some crucnchy kibble will help. Also try giving the dog those greenies once a week or some bones designed to clean teeth, they have special ones for older dogs that are softer for them to chew on :) good luck. I could never get my Black lab to stop smelling he lived to be 15, great dog, but really greasy coat!

Candy said:
DesertGrandma said:

Candy said:
DesertGrandma said:

I don't know if multi vitamins have K in them or if it would be a high enough dose. My vet may have done a blood test to determine this deficiency but I don't remember. It has been so many years ago. But, it was not difficult to give the injections, the dog didn't seem to mind.

River14

5 Year Member
Bathing dog with any kind of shampoo soap is seriously bad for its coat. Every time you do it it causes a wipe out of the natural oils that keep its coat and skin water proof shiny and healthy. Every time you bath a dog in shampoo or soap you increase the amounts of oil subsequently produced, its this excess that begins to go a bit rancid and stink. Then what do you do you start the whole cycle again by washing it. The coat needs to adjust to the climate living conditions and find its own balance of oils without us interfering. Breath odour is something entirely different as it farting.

The only time I would suggest bathing a dog is if it has a serious skin condition that needs medicating like mange. The number of oily stinky greasy coats I have seen is unbelievable as owners want a fluffy floating coat. The more you wash the more you have to wash in a nutshell.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
River14 said:
Bathing dog with any kind of shampoo soap is seriously bad for its coat. Every time you do it it causes a wipe out of the natural oils that keep its coat and skin water proof shiny and healthy. Every time you bath a dog in shampoo or soap you increase the amounts of oil subsequently produced, its this excess that begins to go a bit rancid and stink. Then what do you do you start the whole cycle again by washing it. The coat needs to adjust to the climate living conditions and find its own balance of oils without us interfering. Breath odour is something entirely different as it farting.

The only time I would suggest bathing a dog is if it has a serious skin condition that needs medicating like mange. The number of oily stinky greasy coats I have seen is unbelievable as owners want a fluffy floating coat. The more you wash the more you have to wash in a nutshell.

No offense, but I completely disagree with you. Overbathing is a definite contributer to oily coats, however you can safely bathe a dog 1x a month without causing any problems. My dogs are bathed often, living in AZ they are playing in the water every single day in the summer. If you use a proper dog shampoo that is gentle and safe it is fine.
http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/dogwellness/Bathing-too-much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
about shampoo - Yesterday in Petsmart, I saw a shampoo for dogs with Martha Stewart's label on it. Said it was specially formulated with dog's PH in mind. Can Martha be wrong?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
emysemys said:
about shampoo - Yesterday in Petsmart, I saw a shampoo for dogs with Martha Stewart's label on it. Said it was specially formulated with dog's PH in mind. Can Martha be wrong?

LOL, I don't think Martha could possible y be wrong, that is unheard of ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.