meet my dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
More than anything I'm a dog lover so thought I would introduce them. Some of you have seen Joey (the one with the teeth) so I'll start with him.
DSCN1856.jpg

I found him a couple yrs ago while I was working, wandering a busy intersection. I was afraid he'd get hit by a car so I tossed him my work truck and took him home. I did all the usual things, put up flyers, ad in the paper, checked and posted at Vets & AC and checked for a chip. He's a very good looking, intact, Rat Terrier so thought for sure someone would claim him but no one did. He ended up being perfect for my high energy Boxer-mix so I kept him. He's about 14lbs, smallest dog I've ever had, and has a typical Terrier attitude. I figure him to be around 4yrs old now. A good dog, very happy here, fun and has endless energy. Not a dog for a small home...... needs a ton of exercise. His only issue is we cant show anger towards him. It causes fear aggression ... I think the previous owner may have been a bit rough with him. But he has learned to trust us and while he'll still "complain" if scolded he doesnt shut down and hide anymore.

This is Bo my American Bulldog.
DSCN0067-1.jpg

He is 9 yrs old and I got him out of rescue when he was 2yrs old. His conformation isnt a great example of an Am Bull but I really dont care. He is a really good dog. I saw him sitting in a crate for 3 mos at the saturday adoptions at our local pet supply. I remember feeling bad for him because he wasnt a very remarkable looking dog and thought he was going to be hard to place. We had lost a Bull Terrier to kidney disease and 5 weeks later our Am Staff died of cancer so hubby went to check out the dogs. He came home telling me about some dog he really liked and wanted me to go see the dog. It was Bo ... the dog I didnt think would be adopted anytime soon. I smiled when I saw who the dog was and knew it was meant to be.
He is a very sweet dog, really mellow and thinks everyday is like going to Disneyland. Even when he went thru both knee surgeries he thought the ortho and techs were his best friends. He loves swimming in the pool and his morning hikes. Just a good boy ... cant ask for any more than that.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
This is Mia .... my little princess. She is an American Pit Bull. My 1st non-rescue and puppy. She is now 7yrs old and was 8 weeks old when I got her.
DSCN2604-1.jpg

This one has never had a hardship in her life, the way it should be for all dogs. She is truely a mama's girl. She is totally my creation.. for better or worse. lol. She is a great example of the breed standard and temperment. She is about 53lbs as she should be, very sweet with people and gentle with children even tho she has very little exposure to them. She is very obedient and was one of the easiest dogs I've ever trained. I spent a lot of off leash training with her when she was a pup and its paid off greatly. She isnt highly dog aggressive but rather, has a low tolerance of them. She can walk by any dog, off leash, and not bother with them but if one gets in her face, its a fight. But hey, its her genes, there is nothing wrong with her and it doesnt make her a bad dog anymore than a retriever retrieving is bad. The problem with these dogs is that many new owners dont respect or understand the potential of these dogs and tend to deny their gentic traits because often their 1st 2 or 3yrs of life show little or no potential for dog aggression. But I guess I'll leave their genetics for another thread. She is a great dog and I love her to pieces. I will always own an APBT or Am Staff for all of my days.

And last is Deena ... my little orphan child.
RSCN2711-2.jpg

She is a boxer mixed with maybe Pit Bull or Am Bull. Some guy bought her as a pup thinking she was a Pit Bull and was going to use her as a breeding *****. Well apparently she grew up not looking so Pit Bull-ish as well as completely deaf so luck would have it, he never bred her. He didnt do anything with her actually. She was left to live in a little kennel out in his yard living in an area that gets as cold as 20 degrees and as hot as 115. Frankly I dont know how she managed. She has the thinnest and shortest coat I've ever seen on a dog. She spent her 1st 2 yrs of life living in a very quiet world all alone. Even he admitted that the only attention she got was when she was fed and watered. In the hot summers he hosed her down and did put a little wading pool in her kennel. Its not right to keep any dog as a yard ornament ... thats all she was. Then we got a call from this guy, we take her or she goes to the shelter. And sadly any dog surrendered that even remotely looks like it has Pit Bull in them gets killed pretty quick. So I took her as a foster and put her up on rescue sites. I knew I would have a problem with 2 females with bully breeds in them, and I do, so I really didnt want to keep her. But after a year on the rescue site and only 2 inquiries with no results, I ended up keeping her. Its been 5yrs and she is about 7 yrs old now. Its a pain separating the girls (they will fight each other) but this house has a great setup for such a thing and we have a good system going. As long as no one makes a mistake. Deena knows her basic comands thru hand signals. She knows to come when I flicker the house lights. And she has learned to look over at me and "check in" often to see if I want her for something. Considering her 1st 2 yrs of life had no training or socialization with dogs or people ... she has come a very long way. She even once saved our old house from being robbed. It was great, I was so proud of her but I'm too lazy to tell that story. lol
So those are my dogs .... I love all my tortoises but dogs are my passion. :) I dream of having a "retirement" home for abandoned/surrendered senior dogs. The dogs I adopted before this crew was older. This is the youngest group I've had. After them I'm going back to adopting older dogs again, with the exception of 1 planned puppy. I'm pro rescue but not anti breeding. I believe we should all have the right to "Buy" a dog of our choice. But we should choose well and buy from ethical, responsible breeder and not promote the backyard or puppy mill breeders. And nope, wont buy from a pet store. My next puppy choice will be either a Staffordshire Bull terrier, Bordeaux or Argentinian Dogo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! What great stories...and what lucky dogs!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dogs are my favorite too. I just love them. I also love stories of dogs who find loving homes like yours. It's just wonderful to think of people who care this much for animals. I love your pictures too. :) Thanks for sharing their stories.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Candy said:
Dogs are my favorite too. I just love them. I also love stories of dogs who find loving homes like yours. It's just wonderful to think of people who care this much for animals. I love your pictures too. :) Thanks for sharing their stories.

And thanks for reading them. I could talk dogs all day. I'm a repairman for the phone Co and my favorite customers are the dogs. I live in a very dog friendly area and I meet so many great dogs. It helps a lot with public relations when I know each breed and owners see how much I truely like having their dogs around instead of asking them to put them up. 28 yrs of being a stranger and meeting dogs on their own turf has taught me a lot on how to read dog behavior. Its interesting and many folks are surprised to see some of the "iffy" dogs react positively to me. I really love dogs. I honestly believe they are Gods gift to mankind. They are the examples of how we should base our morality on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wirewehear said:
I'm a repairman for the phone Co and my favorite customers are the dogs.

Yvie: We have SO much in common. Didn't you originally say your name is Yvonne? And I retired from the phone company. I love dogs (all animals). You didn't happen to have a space between your front teeth, did you? (I had my space bonded). I'd love to see a picture of you.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Your dog are beautiful :) Thanks for sharing their stories with us. I am so glad they live in a loving home like yours :)

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
emysemys said:
Yvie: We have SO much in common. Didn't you originally say your name is Yvonne? And I retired from the phone company. I love dogs (all animals). You didn't happen to have a space between your front teeth, did you? (I had my space bonded). I'd love to see a picture of you.

lol .. yes, its Yvonne and why yes I did have a gap between my front teeth as a kid. I was lucky, it wasnt so bad and as I got older they grew together. I can still get a fingernail between them tho ... lol .. I'll look for a picture that isnt so horrible.
Here one of the rare decent ones ... notice the hopeful eyeballs peering under the food.
tramandbarbcue015.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.