My Dog Guards My Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
IMG_0991.JPGSo i imported a male english bull terrier from Ukraine not to long ago and this dog has the most amazing personality of any dog breed i've ever had. Well it wasn't until 2 weeks ago that he discovered that my tortoises are in terrarium on top of a bookshelf. He was so intrigued by them that ever since then he can't take his eyes off them for hours sometimes even all day. I let him sniff the torts and he just fell in love with them ....almost like a fatherly instinct....it's the weirdest thing. So now he wont let any dogs near the tortoises as I guess they are his kids now....shake my head. Anywho hears a picture of him staring at torts walking around eating their lettuce.

Before anyone says any negative comments about having dogs in the tortoise picture...I will imply that the tortoises will never be in harms way with my dogs. I thought it'd be funny to show people his reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjulene

5 Year Member
My dog got bitten by my Tortoises at an early age. She really doesn't pay much attention to them unless they are eating. She will peek over their pen and access the foods she desires and steals them away from the Tortoises. She will only eat most of these when stolen. I have tried giving her green beans, tomatoes, carrots, dandelions, or hay she just is not interested. Must taste better out of the pen. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365663820.305447.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Minority1

5 Year Member
Anjulene said:
My dog got bitten by my Tortoises at an early age. She really doesn't pay much attention to them unless they are eating. She will peek over their pen and access the foods she desires and steals them away from the Tortoises. She will only eat most of these when stolen. Must taste better out of the pen.

It's an ongoing act of revenge for the tortoise bite.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Im curious as to why you imported him? Aren't there plenty of bull terriers her in the US?

My cats are way more interested in my tort then my dogs for the most part. My terrier mix does like to watch my tort walk around though!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My assessment of your dogs behavior is quite a bit different than yours, but that's okay.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Ya like maybe protecting his 'steak' in those torts??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
My assessment of your dogs behavior is quite a bit different than yours, but that's okay.

Tom we think a bit alike. I am quite sure I am seeing the same thing as you and it's more like step fatherly, if you get what I mean.:D

Cute Bully btw. I have a female white one. Lots of energy they are and solid boulders. Glad you do understand the dangers of dog and torts.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
You'd have to understand my bullie, he's not at all the typical bull terrier......he expresses things a little backwards.

I imported him for his bloodlines, I won't breed unless it's top quality in all aspects and all health checks are done annually except BAER testing. There are lots in the US, but none that truly meet show standards.....way better quality dogs from the European areas. Most pictures of bullies you see are either direct imports from England, Ukraine, or Australia. Probably one of the most expensive breeds to have and to breed.....that is if your doing it right.....most people just breed because they think ohh my dog has papers......smh. I don't mean to sound like a dog nazi, but I take breeding seriously in all aspects.....quality is all that amtters.....Id rather have a litter from AI producing three solid pups as natural breeding would produce three solid and five unstandardized pups.....then you have to find homes for all the pups.......needless to say one or two pups out of the litters will end up in a pound. That's something I prevent at all costs.

AustinASU said:
You'd have to understand my bullie, he's not at all the typical bull terrier......he expresses things a little backwards.

I imported him for his bloodlines( 244usam985643.dog terminal.com/USA ), I won't breed unless it's top quality in all aspects and all health checks are done annually except BAER testing. There are lots in the US, but none that truly meet show standards.....way better quality dogs from the European areas. Most pictures of bullies you see are either direct imports from England, Ukraine, or Australia. Probably one of the most expensive breeds to have and to breed.....that is if your doing it right.....most people just breed because they think ohh my dog has papers......smh. I don't mean to sound like a dog nazi, but I take breeding seriously in all aspects.....quality is all that amtters.....Id rather have a litter from AI producing three solid pups as natural breeding would produce three solid and five unstandardized pups.....then you have to find homes for all the pups.......needless to say one or two pups out of the litters will end up in a pound. That's something I prevent at all costs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
AustinASU said:

I imported him for his bloodlines, I won't breed unless it's top quality in all aspects and all health checks are done annually except BAER testing. There are lots in the US, but none that truly meet show standards.....way better quality dogs from the European areas. Most pictures of bullies you see are either direct imports from England, Ukraine, or Australia. Probably one of the most expensive breeds to have and to breed.....that is if your doing it right.....most people just breed because they think ohh my dog has papers......smh. I don't mean to sound like a dog nazi, but I take breeding seriously in all aspects.....quality is all that amtters.....Id rather have a litter from AI producing three solid pups as natural breeding would produce three solid and five unstandardized pups.....then you have to find homes for all the pups.......needless to say one or two pups out of the litters will end up in a pound. That's something I prevent at all costs.

AustinASU said:

I imported him for his bloodlines( 244usam985643.dog terminal.com/USA ), I won't breed unless it's top quality in all aspects and all health checks are done annually except BAER testing. There are lots in the US, but none that truly meet show standards.....way better quality dogs from the European areas. Most pictures of bullies you see are either direct imports from England, Ukraine, or Australia. Probably one of the most expensive breeds to have and to breed.....that is if your doing it right.....most people just breed because they think ohh my dog has papers......smh. I don't mean to sound like a dog nazi, but I take breeding seriously in all aspects.....quality is all that amtters.....Id rather have a litter from AI producing three solid pups as natural breeding would produce three solid and five unstandardized pups.....then you have to find homes for all the pups.......needless to say one or two pups out of the litters will end up in a pound. That's something I prevent at all costs.

I used to breed dogs. I think your dog looks nice. However, please don't take this the wrong way. However, your dog does not have the typical bull terrier egg head. Is this something you don't take into consideration? To me when I was breeding, Chinese Shar-Pei , which are expensive dogs. I bred for conformation and health. They needed to be healthy, and look and move like a Shar-Pei. With that, I worked on breeding the health problems out. Also, if my pups weren't good enough for the show ring, they weren't bred either. I didn't have show, breed, pet quality. Only show and pet. If it didn't look or move like a Shar-Pei was meant to look or move, it was spayed or neutered and sold as a pet. I will try and post a pic of my bullie on here if you don't mind.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
He does, the lighting on this camera sucks. His is more FCI standard......as seen in most imports from brazil and Mexico. Here's the thing though, each bullie will have it's fault in the show ring, thus why my male was never shown in the ring. I'll try to post pics of his head.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
My mother and I used to show Shetland Sheepdogs (AKC). We too bred for conformation, health, and personality. Unfortunately, I saw a drop in dogs who had the herding instinct! They were breed to herd sheep and some of our healthiest dogs who fit the standards perfectly would not even take a second look at sheep!

I want to show Airedales after I graduate college!

Its funny how different dog and tort breeding is!!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thats what sad is akc really has ruined several dog breeds. I believe that every dog is supposed to meet the breed standard look and comply with the working standard of its breed. Take for example the dogo argentine or the fila brasilerio......both powerful hunters and protectors...but the show ring demands well tempered dogs....luckily the fila is in good hands as akc will not notice the breed due to the fact that breed is supposed to show loyalty to one owner and owner only ( the judge is to approach the dog and if the dog turns to protect his owner then he fits the breed standard. The biggest change i've seen is in Neopolitan mastiffs and Cane corsos.....neos look like a pile of flab ( only a few true breeders i know personally that breed true neos in italy). And todays corsos are begining to look more and more like the german boxer of the 1940's.

Thats what sad is akc really has ruined several dog breeds. I believe that every dog is supposed to meet the breed standard look and comply with the working standard of its breed. Take for example the dogo argentine or the fila brasilerio......both powerful hunters and protectors...but the show ring demands well tempered dogs....luckily the fila is in good hands as akc will not notice the breed due to the fact that breed is supposed to show loyalty to one owner and owner only ( the judge is to approach the dog and if the dog turns to protect his owner then he fits the breed standard. The biggest change i've seen is in Neopolitan mastiffs and Cane corsos.....neos look like a pile of flab ( only a few true breeders i know personally that breed true neos in italy). And todays corsos are begining to look more and more like the german boxer of the 1940's.

Also here's more pics of my male bull terrier as well as a female I rescued when she was 7wks old.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 399782_3380365514877_1111885291_n.jpg
    399782_3380365514877_1111885291_n.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 486201_10151257243449742_960640736_n.jpg
    486201_10151257243449742_960640736_n.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 537752_10151294376584742_1839467175_n.jpg
    537752_10151294376584742_1839467175_n.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 33

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My assessment of your dogs behavior is quite a bit different than yours,

Tom, I have a feeling mine is likely in line with yours...that is an absolutely familiar eye dead lock along with the posture....handsome dog by the way....

Status
Not open for further replies.