Dog allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville,FL
We have three dogs. Our middle dog Gabriel we got from the pound about 4 months ago. The day we got him I notice my arms itched where his fur touched skin. I though maybe it was whatever the pound washed him in. Well 4 months later it still happens. Whenever I interact with him for an extended period I itch where he had contact with skin. They said he is a german shepherd basset hound mix, all we know is he is a large about 50lb 8 month old. I don't have an issue with the other two dogs and have never had an allergy to animals before. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Whay are your other two dogs? If they are dogs with hair not fur you may have a fur issue.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use to own/show English Bulldogs (they rock by the way :D ) and they have that short "eyelash" type fur....when ever I would hug on them or they would jump their little chubby butts up on my lap for hugs...my arms would itch...but never had that reaction to long "haired" dogs..... so I would just grin and bear it.... :p

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
The oldest dog is a lab weimeriener mix and the baby is a poodle shih tzu mix. I just find this odd and wondered if other had this issue. His hair is pretty course so Angela I think its the same thing you had with your English bulldogs. The lab mix has very short hair but it is very soft.

Here is the big goofball. I weighed him yesterday, 60lbs at 8 months old, any guesses what breed(s) he is?
20110715222604.jpg

20110715222711.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I love dogs, but I am allergic to them. However, I have noticed that I get more of a reaction from some breeds than others (and that it's consistent with the literature out there on which breeds are "hypoallergenic"). I do well around poodles and their relatives, fairly well around terriers and hounds, but get stronger reactions from husky breeds, and probably the strongest reactions from shepherd breeds.

I have been getting allergy shots for the past 1.5 years, and it is already helping (the process takes at least 3 years). I can spend more time around dogs now, but I notice that when a shepherd breed licks me, I still get a rash.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
A poodle has hair not fur so it does not have the same dander that many people are allergic to. I think this is why people started all the designer mixes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would say there is some Alsatian way back in his lineage.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Angi said:
A poodle has hair not fur so it does not have the same dander that many people are allergic to. I think this is why people started all the designer mixes.

Yeah, all mammals have hair, but not all mammals have the insulating layer of underfur below the hair. Dogs like Portugese water spaniels, poodles, bichon frise, Havanese, and the like are hypoallergenic, and although they have retained their guard hairs, they now have little or no underfur (as opposed to woolly sheep, for example, which have a lot of underfur, but few or no guard hairs). This may be part of the reason why they're hypoallergenic, but allergies are basically a reaction to proteins, so there's got to be more to it than that. Perhaps these dogs shed less dander from their skin, or maybe they actually have less of the proteins in their skin that are the most allergenic. Probably a combination of all of the above.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I use to own/show English Bulldogs (they rock by the way :D ) and they have that short "eyelash" type fur....when ever I would hug on them or they would jump their little chubby butts up on my lap for hugs...my arms would itch...but never had that reaction to long "haired" dogs..... so I would just grin and bear it.... :p

We recently adopted an English bulldog/Bullmastiff mix, and my wife was definitely allergic to it, and I also got a bit itchy around him. We also have a St. Bernard, never had any issues with her for the 5 years that we've owned her.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
emysemys said:
I would say there is some Alsatian way back in his lineage.

Yvonne, what is an Alsatian?

Growing up I have been around many breeds of dogs and this is the first I have had an issue with. He is a great dog and I will just learn to deal with it :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! Its a fancy name for a German Shepherd!!

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
LOL thanks Yvonne! We figure German shepherd/something lol. He is a big goofball that loves to watch tv, that's what he is doing in the first pic.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
My sister is allergic to my shih tzu, Kobe when she hugs him too, she gets little red bumps where the fur touched her. Weirdly, we have 3 more shih tzus and a 2 chihuahuas that she hugs and carry around but she's only allergic to that one dog. We'd love to know why too.

~When you said German Shepherd/Basset hound mix, I pictured a german shepherd with very short legs LOL

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Strangely enough I get that itchy skin from a lot of super short hair dogs, like dobermans, pits and shar peis. I get it on occasion from our mutt, but it doesn't bother me a great deal so I just kinda deal with it. It is definatley possible to be allergic to different fur types.

CJSTorts said:
The oldest dog is a lab weimeriener mix and the baby is a poodle shih tzu mix. I just find this odd and wondered if other had this issue. His hair is pretty course so Angela I think its the same thing you had with your English bulldogs. The lab mix has very short hair but it is very soft.

Here is the big goofball. I weighed him yesterday, 60lbs at 8 months old, any guesses what breed(s) he is?
20110715222604.jpg

20110715222711.jpg

BTW, that is a gorgeous dog! :D

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
Geekinpink when we got him he was short and long, though his legs seem to get longer every day lol.

Jenn thank you we think he is gorgeous too :) he is a big baby who thinks he is a lap dog.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I work at a vet clinic & anytime there's a shar pei that I hold or hug I get a red rash on my arms. If I just pet them with my hand I'm usually ok but if i have to restrain them for a temp or xrays or anything, red rash. Some crosses are ok and so far as I know it's the only breed that does that to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.