Garden in my habitat

TankTheHermann

I've seen many people have a mini garden in their tortoise habitat. they grow weeds for the tortoise to eat inside the tortoise habitat is that recommend?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
We can't recreate our tort's natural habitats, but we can sure try to do whatever we can to make their lives more than "being in a big box". Planting whatever you can, whether it's vegetation specific to their locale or just plain tort-safe, is always good to do. It looks beautiful to you, is practical (food source and hiding spots) and it's another aspect of owning a tortoise that can be very rewarding.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You can throw down seed mix from http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...ath=41&zenid=843f4e7d689b4480a92a55d59772aec3 Or http://www.groworganic.com/seeds/pasture-seed.html but if it's an indoor enclosure, they won't grow well. I start mine in a sunny window then either let my torts graze in the grow box or transfer a huge clump of dirt and sprouts into the enclosure.
Yes, I tiered that, but he sat on them , they shriveled up, and died :( I gave up and went with fake :D I do have a 'seed box' though, that has yummy sprouts in it...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'd like to laugh, but a few dead plants down the road, it started to get frustrating :D :D I mean, they did so well... at first before Godzilla realized they were very comfy sleeping spots... and then here are these gorgeous tortoise table with green, (alive) plants thriving :p
Oh well, fake looks JUST as good! Do you have any live plants? Big tortoise success? :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'd like to laugh, but a few dead plants down the road, it started to get frustrating :D :D I mean, they did so well... at first before Godzilla realized they were very comfy sleeping spots... and then here are these gorgeous tortoise table with green, (alive) plants thriving :p
Oh well, fake looks JUST as good! Do you have any live plants? Big tortoise success? :D
I can grow things outside... Mainly because of the light, August is THE time to plant zucchini (here anyway, it's an 11 zone!) :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hehehe! :p
Seeds come up quickly with lots of water and sun, so you shouldn't have to wait too long... now, if only I could get mine to stay! :D

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I've seen many people have a mini garden in their tortoise habitat. they grow weeds for the tortoise to eat inside the tortoise habitat is that recommend?
Not only recommend, but from a behavioural point of view, it's essential. Being able to forage for themselves adds much needed enrichment for captive animals.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES