Planted habitat

Imkeisme

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Has anyone here had luck with keeping weeds in their tortoise habitat. I figure each incloser would be different but I was wondering if I should even bother trying. I live in Pennsylvania so when spring comes around I wanna attempt to keep the enclosure full off different weeds and grasses. My Russian is about a half a foot and active. My indoor habitat is four foot by eight.

Imkeisme

Pennsylvania
Reference picture of what I'm going to do this summer. I'm going to dig down and burry the blox for a later or two I know he's going to eventually dig his little heart out when he's bored.Screenshot_20180205-214554.jpg

jakskillz

Georgia
I think I figured out some good tricks when it comes to growing plants with tortoises and turtles. My box turtles are absolute nightmares when it comes to plants. They climb, crush, and shred almost everything the first day they have a new plant. I grew lots of herbs and wildflowers in their outdoor pen and it wasn’t until I removed them all that a week later I saw plant growth. My ornate jacked up my onion plant and made herself a bed every time I got a new plant going. If you want a constant supply of vegetation especially for a more herbivores tortoise then think about making that pen have a dividing wall and do what farmers do when they rotate livestock. Let one side overgrow while the tortoise grazes on the other and then switch every month or so. See if you can design it so his water and shelter remain in the same location but he has access to one side or the other. Up in PA you can find dandelion easily and that’s a great hardy plant to take hold.