Garden Tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We'll need a bit more info from you? Your weather? What species of tortoise?

StrangeAcres

Lateobe
We'll need a bit more info from you? Your weather? What species of tortoise?

Sorry, I am in Northern California. (Sacamento area) Warm most of the time but can get cold. I have not gotten a tortoise yet, though I am thinking more on the larger breeds. But want to get my information first. We are building a large garden 20x30 ish. And I heard about someone who kept a tortoise in there garden.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are species not breeds. Each is genetically different and has different care needs.

There are plenty of tortoise keepers in California and yes, you can keep them outdoors, but winter needs careful thought with the larger species as the bigger species can't hibernate.

I recommend that you read the following written by TFO experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too. It will help you understand what is involved

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care sheet for Sulcatas and Leopard Tortoises
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can i keep a tortoise in my garden. With raise beds.
Yes you can. That would probably be a great area for a tortoise, as long as you aren't using pesticides or other toxic chemicals around the garden.

Age, size and species will have to be taken into account too. Some species come from tropical areas and need to be kept warm day and night, while other species come from temperate areas and can tolerate colder night temps, or hibernate through winter.

What I like to do is have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure. Indoors at night and on day with extreme weather, and outdoors on nice days.

StrangeAcres

Lateobe
Yes you can. That would probably be a great area for a tortoise, as long as you aren't using pesticides or other toxic chemicals around the garden.

Age, size and species will have to be taken into account too. Some species come from tropical areas and need to be kept warm day and night, while other species come from temperate areas and can tolerate colder night temps, or hibernate through winter.

What I like to do is have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure. Indoors at night and on day with extreme weather, and outdoors on nice days.

StrangeAcres

Lateobe
Thanks so much. I was thinking like a Dog house? With some kindof heat when needed. I will do some research on species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much. I was thinking like a Dog house? With some kindof heat when needed. I will do some research on species.
What you need will depend on species, but dog houses are designed for dogs, and they don't wrk well for tortoises. Best to design and build something better suited to your tortoises needs. When that time comes we will help. Lots of examples here for you.