gardening advice?

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
we live in puerto rico (hot all year round) I know I can grow most things however we dont have a real garden everything has to be in pots.
over the weekend i went to Kmart and got a pack of seeds that is a mix of different lettuces (sweet salad mix)

time-tested heirloom varieties in red (Ruby lettuce, Bull's Blood beet) and bright green (Bloomsdale spinach, Simpson lettuce, Tendergreen mustard)

I wanted to do a double check make sure all of this is safe (ill obviously be picking out the spinach and using that for us)
and ask how many I can plant per pot... the package says 6 inches of space between but I really dont have that many pots and this mix is temporary if at all used (more of a back up... ill at least have something growing thats not pesticide filled store bought stuff fully grown by the time i order my tortoise mix early next month) would it be find to have like 3 growing in one (med. sized pot) even if the growth is stunted on them? or will they not grow at all?

i planted about 6 in the pot over the weekend and a few more in jiffy pots and they have all sprouted im now worried this is going to cause a problem... if anything i will buy store greens for the 1st month until i get my tortoise mix

im just a little worried about the greens not having proper nutritional value if the growth gets stunted from having so many in one pot...

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Loose leaf lettuce can be packed into a pot. Since you're growing food for tortoises, keep picking off the outer leaves by the time they reach 2-3 inches to feed. The middle of the plant will keep producing leaves for a continous harvest. This way your plants remain compact and can all survive in a single pot without much hassle. So yes, you're fine to have 3 or more in a medium sized pot.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'm of the mind that most of what we eat, our tortoises can, too. I wouldn't rule out spinach as long as you use just a little. Spinach has high nutritional value that shouldn't be ignored. Otherwise, the other plants you listed should be fine as part of a varied diet.

Here are some pics of some of my lettuce as a reference:

There are three lettuce plantlings in this bottle of water. If you look at some of the stems, I've taken a few leaves from each already.

The roots aren't even significant at the size they are. So, I would think that having 6 plants in a medium pot wouldn't be horrible at all.

Hope this helps!