My Gardening Efforts...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I frequently say: Anyone who owns a tortoise needs to be a gardener too…

Over winter I put these new planters together and then planted them late Feb and Mid March. I put them in this location because they are right in the middle of everything, so it will be convenient to keep them watered all summer, and because the gophers never seem to get near this part of the ranch. Well… not yet anyway…

There are three planters. Each planter is about 32" wide by 11' long. The first one is three types of opuntia cactus that I started in pots last spring. I should have planted them last summer, but I was busy with work and procrastinated too long. They got root bound and they turned pale greenish-yellow color. I figured that they were dead or dying, but I stuck them in the ground anyway. To my surprise and delight, they recovered and are now budding tons of new pads.
IMG_1270.JPG
As we get closer to summer and I have to start watering these cactus a lot, I intend to plant a border of Gazanias around the whole planter. In fact, that is one of the things that is in the pots in the tub next to this planter, along with hollyhocks, and african hibiscus.

This next planer has five sections. I planted Tyler's Testudo Mix, alfalfa, and then three different types of grass mix. All are thriving and I've already taken five cuts from this planter. That grass really comes back fast. You can see how I hand cut with scissors. The tall middle section will be their next meal.
IMG_1268.JPG

Same planter, but here is the recently cut alfalfa and Testudo mix:
IMG_1269.JPG
There is still a little bit of mallow trying to hang on…

This is the far left side and I planted it last. On this one I alternated strips of grass with clover, arugula, alfalfa, a variety of flowers to include pansies, gazania, nasturtium and the tall sunflowers you can see in the pic, and more alfalfa on the end.
IMG_1266.JPG
I feed a lot of pumpkin to the adults every fall and I threw quite a few random seeds into these planters. You can just see two of them to the far right of this pic in the corner of the planter.

One more pic of the middle planter:
IMG_1265.JPG

I had to replant the middle one because, even though I covered it, the local birds went under the wire and ate most of the seed. I had to build properly fitted screen tops to start these planters and then I remove the tops when the plants begin pushing through the screen. I'm also fighting an assortment of plant eating bugs right now, but these plants all grow pretty fast, so I'm constantly cutting on them. This helps to slow down the bugs.

Questions and comments are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice job. You can garden. I have no green in my thumbs. I try, but I either forget to water or water too much. I did get some spineless cactus to survive all winter. A couple in the babies enclosure and about 4 more out in the unheated tort addition. They were in the window. All survived and even have growth on them. Now if they will actually produce something I can feed.
Good job you did.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I had to set up a watering line system with a timer because I would either forget to water or water too much. Unfortunately, seedlings aren't as forgiving as established plants when it comes to watering.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had to set up a watering line system with a timer because I would either forget to water or water too much. Unfortunately, seedlings aren't as forgiving as established plants when it comes to watering.

I have a timer in one spot and I'm considering it for over here too...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks so nice. Sure is Green. I mean your thumb.;););)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Nice job Tom. That vegetation looks so healthy and green compared to the contrasting surroundigs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice job Tom. That vegetation looks so healthy and green compared to the contrasting surroundigs.

Thank you.

Yeah… It is pretty desolate here from about May to December or January when the rains come back. Everything is dried out and dead unless you spend time tending to it daily. It makes for seasonal foods all year long. During the hot dry months, all the cactus, mulberry trees, grape vines, grass grows in abundance as long as it get watered. Fall is a tough time because the mulberry trees, grape leaves, opuntia and grass all go dormant. They get a lot of grass hay and some pumpkin at this time, plus I use up the last of the season's cactus pads. Their appetites tend to slow down a bit this time of year too, thankfully. Once the rains return, we get all sorts of weeds and wild grasses sprouting. I hate the colder weather, but this is the easiest time of year for me as far as tortoise care is concerned. They simply walk around and eat as much as they want in their enclosures. I don't have to "feed" them. Spring time is nice because I still have some weeds left, but all the grapevines, mulberry and cactus start coming back. The grass starts growing like crazy too with the warmer weather and longer days.

I think "managing" all these seasonal variations and making the transitions is part of the fun of tortoise keeping for me.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Thank you.

Yeah… It is pretty desolate here from about May to December or January when the rains come back. Everything is dried out and dead unless you spend time tending to it daily. It makes for seasonal foods all year long. During the hot dry months, all the cactus, mulberry trees, grape vines, grass grows in abundance as long as it get watered. Fall is a tough time because the mulberry trees, grape leaves, opuntia and grass all go dormant. They get a lot of grass hay and some pumpkin at this time, plus I use up the last of the season's cactus pads. Their appetites tend to slow down a bit this time of year too, thankfully. Once the rains return, we get all sorts of weeds and wild grasses sprouting. I hate the colder weather, but this is the easiest time of year for me as far as tortoise care is concerned. They simply walk around and eat as much as they want in their enclosures. I don't have to "feed" them. Spring time is nice because I still have some weeds left, but all the grapevines, mulberry and cactus start coming back. The grass starts growing like crazy too with the warmer weather and longer days.

I think "managing" all these seasonal variations and making the transitions is part of the fun of tortoise keeping for me.
I have a very different situation. We are experiencing "extremely good" weather here at the moment with temps ranging from 16C -22C. We have had a week of this and are expecting another and then it will be back to overcast skies, daily rain and daily temps around 13C. We generally get another good week or two around the end of August and into September. Weeds, grass, flowers etc thriving now...if watered well...we are not used to watering plants as the clouds usually do it for us...i have tarps to cover my outdoor enclosure as it would be more suited to pond turtles in a couple of weeks if left uncovered.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a very different situation. We are experiencing "extremely good" weather here at the moment with temps ranging from 16C -22C. We have had a week of this and are expecting another and then it will be back to overcast skies, daily rain and daily temps around 13C. We generally get another good week or two around the end of August and into September. Weeds, grass, flowers etc thriving now...if watered well...we are not used to watering plants as the clouds usually do it for us...i have tarps to cover my outdoor enclosure as it would be more suited to pond turtles in a couple of weeks if left uncovered.

I know that some people like it, but I could not live that way.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Nice work Tom. Looking at the surrounding scenery I imagine it's quite a challenge keeping things green in your region most of the year.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Looks fantastic, Tom! I agree that we have to be gardeners! It's the only way...

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I know that some people like it, but I could not live that way.
I know what you mean. All Irish people seem to do is complain about the weather...its just very unpredictable. Take for example my tesudo mix. I had a very healthy crop yesterday evening which i watered after work and lastnight. Got home from work today....wilted and dead looking..the whole lot. In another week id have had to take it inside to stop it drowning....id settle for a happy medium....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice work Tom. Looking at the surrounding scenery I imagine it's quite a challenge keeping things green in your region most of the year.

Its a challenge from all the hungry and thirsty critters as well as the hot dry climate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know what you mean. All Irish people seem to do is complain about the weather...its just very unpredictable. Take for example my tesudo mix. I had a very healthy crop yesterday evening which i watered after work and lastnight. Got home from work today....wilted and dead looking..the whole lot. In another week id have had to take it inside to stop it drowning....id settle for a happy medium....

Funny. People here complain all day about the heat and burning sun… The grass is always greener… well in my case the grass is dead for 8 months a year… but you know what I mean. :)