Gardening thread

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
:D Mullberry will be so nice!! cacti-type plants (like opuntia) always dies on me :( Unfortunate, my tortoises really love that stuff!
It's easy to care for them, water once a week, sandy soil (that drains well), and you are basically done! The BIGGEST (& worst) mistake is to over water...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Melon just started sprouting! Celosia also started germinating :)
Melon sprouts:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406228959.346697.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Are those little small circular perlite pieces that are colored blue ok for the soil? They came with the opuntia cactus I bought... Any help? :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Just found orchid fir bark, this isn't acceptable right (it'll should be fine grade?) :D
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406288552.044068.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Are those little small circular perlite pieces that are colored blue ok for the soil? They came with the opuntia cactus I bought... Any help? :D

That's the sort of thing that should not be in the tortoise's environment. It is not digestible & can cause impaction. That's why we wash roots & repot plants.

For potted plants that don't go into the habitat .... Well, some of those blue spheres are fertilizer, and I don't trust that either, so I wouldn't want to feed right away.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
That's the sort of thing that should not be in the tortoise's environment. It is not digestible & can cause impaction. That's why we wash roots & repot plants.

For potted plants that don't go into the habitat .... Well, some of those blue spheres are fertilizer, and I don't trust that either, so I wouldn't want to feed right away.
Ok, only feed new growth (I knew perlite caused impaction when ingested-plants outside anyways :) )

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Even after you wash the roots & replant it, some of the chemicals would still be in the plant. I wait for 3 months or more, through several cycles of new growth. Maybe I'm just conservative on this issue. Maybe sooner is safe, I don't know.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Even after you wash the roots & replant it, some of the chemicals would still be in the plant. I wait for 3 months or more, through several cycles of new growth. Maybe I'm just conservative on this issue. Maybe sooner is safe, I don't know.
Hmmmm, I'll wait for growth for like a few months, no need to ambush the tree :)I'll post pics soon :D

K.C.

Rapid City
Hello guys, I'm new to the website and I have a question for you lovelies with green thumbs. If you could only have two hanging indoor plants, which ones would they be? I have picky roommates and I managed to convince them that it would be a good addition to the apartment. I just don't know what would be best for a tortoise (I'm planning on getting one in a few months).

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hello guys, I'm new to the website and I have a question for you lovelies with green thumbs. If you could only have two hanging indoor plants, which ones would they be? I have picky roommates and I managed to convince them that it would be a good addition to the apartment. I just don't know what would be best for a tortoise (I'm planning on getting one in a few months).

1. Spider plant: pretty hardy plants that shoot out many spiderlings to use by year's time.
2. Tradescantia: grows quickly but kinda has a short lifespan (starts balding at the base). However, getting cuttings from them is really simple and you can have plenty (millions) of tradescantia in a jif.

Lipstick vines and pothos are runner ups.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Purslane grows in my garden, just randomly sprouted:
View attachment 89105
Purslane is edible (feed moderately ;) )
Spicy jatropha is a NO FEED! Toxic!!! 4-5 seeds cause death (in humans), all parts are toxic (flower, bark, leaf, roots, wood):
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406480968.119139.jpg
& Japanese spurge:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406481430.773519.jpg

K.C.

Rapid City
1. Spider plant: pretty hardy plants that shoot out many spiderlings to use by year's time.
2. Tradescantia: grows quickly but kinda has a short lifespan (starts balding at the base). However, getting cuttings from them is really simple and you can have plenty (millions) of tradescantia in a jif.

Lipstick vines and pothos are runner ups.

Thank you, I will look into those. The tradescantia sounds great, being able to get clippings and keep replanting as its dying would be kinda neat.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Celosia is a lot bigger now:
View attachment 89041
Here's the melon that started growing :
View attachment 89042
The spineless/glochidless opuntia:
View attachment 89043
The fruiting mulberry I bought:
View attachment 89044
A quick ID question, @YvonneG, is this mulberry:
View attachment 89045
View attachment 89046
It seems like it, & I have been told it's possibly mulberry...
:D

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that's mulberry. My red mulberry has random leaves on it (ie. randomly interchanging leaf shapes from simple to lobed). I can take a picture of mine if you want. Again, not sure about other types of mulberry.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that's mulberry. My red mulberry has random leaves on it (ie. randomly interchanging leaf shapes from simple to lobed). I can take a picture of mine if you want. Again, not sure about other types of mulberry.
I bought a mulberry tree that looks just like the one in the photo, so I say it's a 95% chance it's mulberry :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The melon is growing new tiny leaves:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406553343.103642.jpg
I also planted the mulberry into the ground :)