Gardening thread

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I thought I'd put my gardening questions & all other stuff in a thread... I'd enjoy all opinions, comments, and suggestions :D

•So first I planted some barley, it grew pretty well so I chopped it down:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406040282.270427.jpg
I was sure to let it grow more but I didn't get a lot of pics :p here is a pic of the little harvest:

There is also another growing container for the melon seeds :D I'm gonna put the aster & celosia in a container today! I still have a lot of seeds left.

•I'm also getting some fruiting mulberry & opuntia really soon so I am excited. I also sent thread photos to be IDed by garden compass on my iPhone :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406040677.719474.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406040691.954037.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406040451.766910.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406040451.766910.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406040623.198471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406040623.198471.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 25

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm also thinking of getting hibiscus seeds, is that possible to grow in our desert weather? I can also buy the leaves at the supermarket, so it's not a big deal!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Great job on the gardening! I also love growing all types of tort friendly foods either from seed or cuttings. Be careful of the lantana (your second pic), as it is listed as toxic on tortoisetable.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Great job on the gardening! I also love growing all types of tort friendly foods either from seed or cuttings. Be careful of the lantana (your second pic), as it is listed as toxic on tortoisetable.
Thanks a lot on the info, I thought it might be ok but I wasn't going to take chances... Petunias are sold for really cheap around here but I'd have to wait for new growth, would they grow inside? (It's too hot out) :D

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
You can grow anything indoors provided that you fulfill certain requirements. Unfortunately, some requirements like trying to simulate the sun's light intensity can be costly. So, if you want efficiency, a south facing window and plants that can handle partial sun is the way to go.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
You can grow anything indoors provided that you fulfill certain requirements. Unfortunately, some requirements like trying to simulate the sun's light intensity can be costly. So, if you want efficiency, a south facing window and plants that can handle partial sun is the way to go.
Or maybe I can use the tort's MVB light, should heat be provided? The light will pass through glass, would that change the light?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Direct heat on delicate plants can cook them. I, personally, wouldn't use an MVB as a light source for growing plants. There are "grow bulbs" specifically designed for growing plants. Compact fluorescents work pretty well but shouldn't be used in a tortoise enclosure. They can, however, be used to grow plants indoors in a separate area. Fluorescent tubes work pretty well, too, and can be used in a tortoise enclosure. Glass won't affect the light FOR PLANTS but will affect UVB bulbs for torts. Plants don't require UVB to grow (think about greenhouses and sun that passes through the glass panes).

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Direct heat on delicate plants can cook them. I, personally, wouldn't use an MVB as a light source for growing plants. There are "grow bulbs" specifically designed for growing plants. Compact fluorescents work pretty well but shouldn't be used in a tortoise enclosure. They can, however, be used to grow plants indoors in a separate area. Fluorescent tubes work pretty well, too, and can be used in a tortoise enclosure. Glass won't affect the light FOR PLANTS but will affect UVB bulbs for torts. Plants don't require UVB to grow (think about greenhouses and sun that passes through the glass panes).
No, the MVB will be with my tortoise inside the enclosure while the plants will be outside in front of the plants :D that or I can get a desk lamp and put a compact fluorescent bulb :D

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There are a lot of variables in your situation. Depending on how far the light is from the plant will determine light intensity. Even so, you'll probably have to rotate the plant on a daily basis because the plant will tend to "lean" towards the light. This will cause the plant to grow unevenly unless you rotate it. Growing with compact fluorescents is pretty easy but again, there are lots of variables. With one cfl (like you're proposing), you'll definitely need to keep the light an inch or two away from the plant you're growing. If so, you won't be able to fit too much under the light source (especially if you think ahead and consider how large the plant will grow).

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A couple of my habitats have plexiglas fronts. The tortoises' UVB lights do pass through and definitely stimulate the growth of my houseplants. Is it enough by itself? Hard to say because there are so many variables. It certainly increases the length of a winter day.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
A couple of my habitats have plexiglas fronts. The tortoises' UVB lights do pass through and definitely stimulate the growth of my houseplants. Is it enough by itself? Hard to say because there are so many variables. It certainly increases the length of a winter day.

Is what enough by itself? Houseplants generally tolerate lower light requirements so fluorescents at a default 18-20" seem to be adequate (for me at least and I have natural sun coming in from the window for supplemental light as well). Many flowering plants struggle a bit more since they need a lot more light.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think it depends where you live. I didn't want to be overly positive. I live in the gloom and cloud center of the northeast, and my plants require slightly different care than when I lived in places where the sun shines.

That said, at the end of the summer the plants come inside to a room with windows on three sides: east, south and west. Tomatoes sometimes overwinter but never fruit. I get flowers from a Myers lemon (and lemons), hibiscus, cactus, Christmas cactus, geraniums, pointsettia, African violets, wandering Jews, snake plants & cyclamen. Sometimes the jade trees flower if the autumn isn't too wet. The potted bay tree is over 6' tall. But basil doesn't last through the winter.

The fish and turtle & tortoises share the room and all benefit from the humidity.

Sorry, that was long. The point is that it's worth trying to grow everything, but success isn't guaranteed.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I think it depends where you live. I didn't want to be overly positive. I live in the gloom and cloud center of the northeast, and my plants require slightly different care than when I lived in places where the sun shines.

That said, at the end of the summer the plants come inside to a room with windows on three sides: east, south and west. Tomatoes sometimes overwinter but never fruit. I get flowers from a Myers lemon (and lemons), hibiscus, cactus, Christmas cactus, geraniums, pointsettia, African violets, wandering Jews, snake plants & cyclamen. Sometimes the jade trees flower if the autumn isn't too wet. The potted bay tree is over 6' tall. But basil doesn't last through the winter.

The fish and turtle & tortoises share the room and all benefit from the humidity.

Sorry, that was long. The point is that it's worth trying to grow everything, but success isn't guaranteed.

I completely agree. That's why I research what plants are on the non-toxic list then grow them. I continue growing the plants that tend to thrive with my style of gardening. I love the trial and error. What grows for others may not grow for me, but what does grow.. well, it's an awesome feeling and I take a certain pride from it.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It was identified as Creeping oxeye by garden compass:
Here's a few photos from the web:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406065846.954468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406065888.390986.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406065990.616540.jpg
Is creeping oxeye safe?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Creeping oxeye is invasive on Florida so maybe some members from there can help....

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Those look so big and nice!!
:D I can hardly ever get my plants to grow big :( Not enough sun, too much water... I have succeeded in keeping plants alive in my enclosure though :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Those look so big and nice!!
:D I can hardly ever get my plants to grow big :( Not enough sun, too much water... I have succeeded in keeping plants alive in my enclosure though :)
A few of these are deserts, the gazania is recommended to be fed for grazing desert torts :) I'm getting opuntia & mulberry soon! Excited :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D Mullberry will be so nice!! cacti-type plants (like opuntia) always dies on me :( Unfortunate, my tortoises really love that stuff!