Gender determination for sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just wanted to ask what is the earliest you can determine gender on a sulcata
Sometimes a young male will "flash", often during a soak, and let you know early on. If you don't see a penis, it could be a female, or it could be a male that just didn't flash while you were watching. Generally, you can tell by the time they reach about 14 inches. I've had some faster growers that were still quite young when they reached 14 inches, and I really wasn't sure until they were closer to 16-17 inches. Usually the size of the tail is the first and best indicator. Anal scute shape, gular scute growth, and plastron concavity all tend to come later.

Maddoggy

Location (City and/or State)
Vero Beach Florida
Sometimes a young male will "flash", often during a soak, and let you know early on. If you don't see a penis, it could be a female, or it could be a male that just didn't flash while you were watching. Generally, you can tell by the time they reach about 14 inches. I've had some faster growers that were still quite young when they reached 14 inches, and I really wasn't sure until they were closer to 16-17 inches. Usually the size of the tail is the first and best indicator. Anal scute shape, gular scute growth, and plastron concavity all tend to come later.
Thanks again