Getting a Red foot tortoise.

sarah w.

hello all!

I currently work at a pet store and we received a red foot tortoise. I do believe he will not get the proper care he requires at my store so I'm purchasing him. Super excited by the way.

However. I've owned many pets. And I've got 3 big tanks up and running and so on and so forth. I've never owned a reptile. I'm new to this part. So. What do you recommend for his lighting and stuff? I read the solar glo bulbs are great. That's my main question is his lighting.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi Sarah! So cool you are getting a redfoot :)

They need heat (day and night), most people use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) on a thermostate.
They also need UVB light. I think most redfoot ownership use a tube type UVB light. I use a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) myself, which provides heat, UVB and light in one. However, most redfoots don't really like bright lights I've heard.

It is best to use a closed chamber enclosure to keep heat and humidity in. Redfoots need a humidity of at least 70-80%.

Good luck with your setup! When can we see pics of your new friend? :)

sarah w.

I'll be getting him in two weeks :) I'm setting up his enclosure first and then he will be home with me! I just want to get a good idea as to what bulbs to get and what temp they need and what not! :)

sarah w.

What do you recommend for an enclosure? Some places I read tank. Some places say no tank.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I run closed chambers, which you could replicate with a tank, you'd just need to cover the top. The benefit to these is that they keep heat and humidity in, two things you need for your redfoot (hatchling/juvenile/subadult?). I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm in NY state, so we have cold, dry winters. Maintaining heat & humidity with an open-topped enclosure is laughable.
Current setup:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-redfoot-enclosure-lots-of-pictures.108727/#post-1014050

Lighting
I like the Zoo Med reptisun tube florescent bulbs. I run a 10.0 in my enclosure. I've used mercury vapor bulbs in the past but they don't last long, are expensive, and my redfoots don't seem to bask under them much defeating the purpose of the UVB emissions from this type of bulb. I switched to tubes for UVB and a cheap basking bulb.

I maintain a temperature gradient using a thermostat and ceramic heat emitters (CHE). On the warm, bright side of the enclosure it's 85-87ºF and on the cool, dark side it's 80ºF. I do have a basking location that's ~100ºF. I've used Zoo Med reptitemp R thermostats (~$25) to maintain this gradient but recently switched to a Herpstat 4 ($$$). I just want you to know, you can do it with cheap or expensive thermostats and CHE's.

Outdoor time is the best thing for your tortoise provided the weather is sufficient to keep him/her warm enough.

This book is the single greatest resource I have used to raise my redfoots. It's easy to read, comprehensive, and clearly indicates husbandry that will benefit your redfoot. I have other books, but none are as informative for proper care.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1441494030/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

sarah w.

wow thank you so much for your insight! I'm gonna use a tank for now, and then I'm going to build my enclosure. I just don't know how to run a 10.0 florescent bulb in a 75 gallon tank. Since it doesn't have the top it has the mesh top. Recommendations? That's why I was going to go for the solar glo bulb since I could clamp it to the tank itself.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
wow thank you so much for your insight! I'm gonna use a tank for now, and then I'm going to build my enclosure. I just don't know how to run a 10.0 florescent bulb in a 75 gallon tank. Since it doesn't have the top it has the mesh top. Recommendations? That's why I was going to go for the solar glo bulb since I could clamp it to the tank itself.

That's a great reason to start with a solar glo. Just be careful with the clamp, they fail sometimes!
You could cut out shower curtain and cover the top mesh to keep heat/humidity in?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Would you suggest the 125w or 160w for a red foot?
Depends on the size of your enclosure. Also, will this be your heat source? These two things will drive your wattage.

If this is your heat source, how will you keep the enclosure warm at night? Something to consider...

sarah w.

It's a 75 gallon for now.
Lol I'm not sure that's why I'm asking you guys :( lol I'm new to the reptile game. I've have MANY animals but nothing like this.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Why can't it just lay across the top?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
For my redfoot I use a long tube flourescent uvb and black bulbs for heat. Just get a flourescent or two that can lay across the top the wrong way. A 75 is 18 x 48. Get a fixture that is 24 inches and it lays across front to back. Covering the top of the tank will keep in humidity.

sarah w.

Well I found a couple terrarium strips with uvb florescent bulbs in them. Recommendations: do you think I need a full 48in or could I do like a 20-24 in one and have another source of light on the other side? I was told you need one side a certain light and the other side another?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Would a spiral uvb bulb not be okay?
Spiral UVB's are ALL inherently BAD, BAD, DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER. The spiral bulbs are well documented to cause eye problems. From minor issues of the eye to full on blindness. Something all keepers should want to avoid for the safety of your tortoise or turtle, bearded dragon or what have you. Does this help your lighting question?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
No spiral bulbs..EVER. Too many of them are dangerous and can cause horrible damage so in general we always recommend you steer clear so you don't irritate your babies and cause them pain.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Well I found a couple terrarium strips with uvb florescent bulbs in them. Recommendations: do you think I need a full 48in or could I do like a 20-24 in one and have another source of light on the other side? I was told you need one side a certain light and the other side another?

I have a 4 x 8 foot enclosure with a 48" tube florescent fixture. It has one UVB tube and one LED tube for additional lighting (better CRI). If the room has decent natural lighting, just the UVB on top should be okay. The screen top will drastically reduce the amount of UVB traveling to the tortoise, but if you can get the animal outside that becomes less of a concern.

I hang my light directly in the enclosure to keep the UVB emission up. I also use ceramic heat emitters on a thermostat to heat the space 24/7. They work less hard during the day since my basking bulb is on.

sarah w.

Yeah I was going to build him an outside enclosure as well like a box type so he can roam outside :) lol so you think a UVB strip and a ceramic heater on the other side would be okay?