Getting tortoise to enjoy enclosure

kyle123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, I've just built my tortoise and outdoor run. He is a 5 year old Marginated tortoise. My problem I am having though he doesn't seem to like it outside. I've been putting him outside for the last week and everyday all he does is dig and hide in the same spot all day. He's not even interested in eating outside. The second I bring him indoors at the end of the day and give him the same food I had outside straight away. He just doesn't seem comfortable outside. Any help in making him feel more at home? 20180709_113312.jpeg

SULCY

NEW YORK
I think he just has to get used to your new set up. When you take him outside you are taking him away from his territory and he doesn't know what may be around that could harm him. I think after awhile he will come around.

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
There's a bit of an improvement today He's sticking his head out at least not completely hidden 20180808_135345.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep....at first your tort is feeling very vulnerable. Big sky, noise, lots of space....and there are possibly big things out there that can gobble him up. As he learns that it’s safe, fun, and food...he will start to explore.

Given the large space under the shed...he will probably choose going under vice into the shed. The opening could be made a lot smaller like a cave entrance.

I’m sure as long as you don’t bother him too much, he will start exploring a lot. Good luck.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
A lovely tort, and a nice enclosure! I think the idea above of making the door to his house smaller is a good one. I wonder if, at least for a while, you could add more stuff in his enclosure to 1) make sight barriers so it doesn't seem so big to him, and 2) give him more places to hide? Even just a pile of leaf litter or some branches you've cut. Surely he will catch on to how good real sunshine feels!