Ghost shrimp dying

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hi, All.
I've had my little mud turtle exactly 2 weeks now. I put about a dozen ghost shrimp in the tank about 10 days ago and did a 50% water change about a week ago. I was expecting my turtle to eat some of the shrimp, which I assume he has. I counted 4 shrimp last night. This morning I saw 1 dead shrimp that another shrimp appeared to be eating. This evening there is another dead shrimp and one live one that hardly moves, so I figure he's on the way out.
I looked up a little about ghost shrimp and tested my water. My pH is 6.5 but my nitrates and nitrates score just off the chart using those dipsticks.

Do you think the nitrates and nitrites are what is killing the ghost shrimp?
I ASSUME the nitrates and nitrites are no harm to my turtle since he doesn't breathe water?
Is this something about the "cycling" that new tanks have to go through?

SteveW

Basically, yes. New water doesn't have the bacteria to buffer NO2 spikes and turtles are messy eaters and big, ah, polluters, if you catch my drift. I treat the water to remove chlorine first (or age in sunlight) then add a product called 'stabilize' that adds beneficial bacteria. Plants will help too. Anacharis if your turtles won't eat it (my mud doesn't) or duckweed.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, All.
I've had my little mud turtle exactly 2 weeks now. I put about a dozen ghost shrimp in the tank about 10 days ago and did a 50% water change about a week ago. I was expecting my turtle to eat some of the shrimp, which I assume he has. I counted 4 shrimp last night. This morning I saw 1 dead shrimp that another shrimp appeared to be eating. This evening there is another dead shrimp and one live one that hardly moves, so I figure he's on the way out.
I looked up a little about ghost shrimp and tested my water. My pH is 6.5 but my nitrates and nitrates score just off the chart using those dipsticks.

Do you think the nitrates and nitrites are what is killing the ghost shrimp?
I ASSUME the nitrates and nitrites are no harm to my turtle since he doesn't breathe water?
Is this something about the "cycling" that new tanks have to go through?
Poor shrimps!
Sorry, but I cant help feeling sorry for them. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basically, yes. New water doesn't have the bacteria to buffer NO2 spikes and turtles are messy eaters and big, ah, polluters, if you catch my drift. I treat the water to remove chlorine first (or age in sunlight) then add a product called 'stabilize' that adds beneficial bacteria. Plants will help too. Anacharis if your turtles won't eat it (my mud doesn't) or duckweed.
Ditto.

SteveW

I use this:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450572370.537101.jpg

And then this in the filter;

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450572409.025474.jpg

With my aquatics, nitrate always needs to be managed. Partly I think because I change the water often or in my big tank, use a UV sterilization filter. Regardless, it always seems to be an issue, so I'm treating, filtering, and buying plants. Having shrimp (or mosquito fish, on my case) is a helpful indicator, a canary in the coal mind kind of thing. I wouldn't worry about your mud turtle.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I use this:

View attachment 159189

And then this in the filter;

View attachment 159190

With my aquatics, nitrate always needs to be managed. Partly I think because I change the water often or in my big tank, use a UV sterilization filter. Regardless, it always seems to be an issue, so I'm treating, filtering, and buying plants. Having shrimp (or mosquito fish, on my case) is a helpful indicator, a canary in the coal mind kind of thing. I wouldn't worry about your mud turtle.
Thanks SO MUCH!!!!! :):):)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Poor shrimps!
Sorry, but I cant help feeling sorry for them. :(
I feel sorry for them too. That's why I want to correct this. My longer term goal is to have a much larger tank with lots of live plants for the shrimp to hide in and reproduce. My hope is that if Jacques is well fed on the food I give him, the shrimp will be the clean up crew and Jacques will only eat the sick ones or the ones that have died from natural causes. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hold on for just a minute before you start in with all the chemicals and worry…

Are you 100% SURE that its a dead shrimp and not a molted exoskeleton? It can be very hard to tell the difference. Many many people have found their dead shrimp, crab, lobsters, arachnids, etc… only to discover that is was a molted exoskeleton.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Are you 100% SURE that its a dead shrimp and not a molted exoskeleton? It can be very hard to tell the difference. Many many people have found their dead shrimp, crab, lobsters, arachnids, etc… only to discover that is was a molted exoskeleton.
Hmmmm...ya know, I never thought of that!!! :). I'll try scooping one up and have a quick look! THANKS, Tom! :)

SteveW

Excellent point regarding the exoskeletons, but what would be the downside of adding filter media and nitrifying bacteria?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools

EXACTLY what I was gonna say :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Excellent point regarding the exoskeletons, but what would be the downside of adding filter media and nitrifying bacteria?

I can't think of a downside other than expense and hassle, IF it is not needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I wrote "real turtle man", I'm referring to the fact that I am not all that experienced with turtles, and that I hold Anthony's knowledge and experience in high regard.

It was a self depreciating comment. I meant no offense to all the other turtle people who have been advising Moozillion too. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I scooped out one of the shrimp that looked dead, and it seemed pretty solid- not just a shell. So I figure that one, at least, truly is dead. From now on I will ALWAYS check any crustacean that I THINK is dead before I remove it from the tank. Thanks for that pointer!!!! :)
Okay, I got the bacteria- the same stuff that SteveW posted an image of. I also got Neutral Regulator from the same company. Tomorrow I'm going to do 50% water change and add those to the water. I also have some old sphagnum moss left over from when I made a humid hide for Elsa, and may wash some of that and add it. I will try adding live plants a little later. I will NOT add more shrimp until the water is RIGHT for them.

On another note, I saw a little turtle poop right up front where I could reach it. So I used the turkey baster to slurp it up. Unfortunately, it fell out again before I could lift the baster out of the water. When I told my husband, he was horrified until I reassured him I had ALREADY put the turkey baster in the trash and will buy another one. If it HAD worked, I was STILL going to buy one for cooking, and use that one for the turtle. I thought I was pretty creative!!;)