Ghost shrimp dying

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Nitrites will definitely kill fish and ghost shrimp. So will the chlorinated water from most taps if that is used without treatment Steve mentions. So - very frequent water changes, or a filter is needed. Tom's right, if you just want to change the water every few days - no need for filter (because the ammonia, then nitrite will start to build up in just a few days). But if you want ghost shrimp or fish to survive you will have to be sure to remove the chlorine or chloramine if you have municipal water for your water changes. Most municipal water supplies tend to go with chloramine now as it is much more stable in the water than chlorine - so just letting the water sit a day or so isn't as effective with chloramine. SO adding treatment as the choices Steve mentions are necessary. Doesn't matter to the turtle, though - they will do fine with chlorinated water. Turtles will also do OK with the ammonia and nitrites that a tank will go through, but I personally believe from my experiences, if left unchecked, it can lead to some skin / shell issues at least with some types of turtles. So if a long term setup - I definitely prefer to establish a filter.

If you do have a filter, it does need to get established and will go through a new tank cycle. The waste in a tank turns to ammonia, which will then be converted to Nitrite by beneficial bacteria as the bacteria starts to get established. The nitrite will then get converted to nitrate which is harmless except in really large concentrations. My tap water comes out with high levels of nitrate already - as is the case with many water supplies including most wells. Plants consume nitrate so many will keep plants in their tanks and ponds to help keep that more in check, as nitrate is plant fertilizer! IN a natural environment - that is the balanced cycle.

A filter will take 4 - 6 weeks to get established, but you can speed that by adding bacteria. With just your turtle and ghost shrimp I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just give it time before you expect the ghost shrimp to do well long term (If they survive the turtle!) It just will be important to use treated water for your water changes, and don't forget to only use treated water to clean your filter media - or you will be killing off the bacteria and have to start all over again.

Sorry I got so wordy, but no sure how to answer the question of cycling and nitrites / nitrates being harmful to ghost shimp vs turtles without a little explanation.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I scooped out one of the shrimp that looked dead, and it seemed pretty solid- not just a shell. So I figure that one, at least, truly is dead. From now on I will ALWAYS check any crustacean that I THINK is dead before I remove it from the tank. Thanks for that pointer!!!! :)
Okay, I got the bacteria- the same stuff that SteveW posted an image of. I also got Neutral Regulator from the same company. Tomorrow I'm going to do 50% water change and add those to the water. I also have some old sphagnum moss left over from when I made a humid hide for Elsa, and may wash some of that and add it. I will try adding live plants a little later. I will NOT add more shrimp until the water is RIGHT for them.

On another note, I saw a little turtle poop right up front where I could reach it. So I used the turkey baster to slurp it up. Unfortunately, it fell out again before I could lift the baster out of the water. When I told my husband, he was horrified until I reassured him I had ALREADY put the turkey baster in the trash and will buy another one. If it HAD worked, I was STILL going to buy one for cooking, and use that one for the turtle. I thought I was pretty creative!!;)
Ha de ha ha!
very funny.:)

SteveW

When I wrote "real turtle man", I'm referring to the fact that I am not all that experienced with turtles, and that I hold Anthony's knowledge and experience in high regard.

It was a self depreciating comment. I meant no offense to all the other turtle people who have been advising Moozillion too. :)

No offense, here, I'm more of a tortoise guy too.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Nitrites will definitely kill fish and ghost shrimp. So will the chlorinated water from most taps if that is used without treatment Steve mentions. So - very frequent water changes, or a filter is needed. Tom's right, if you just want to change the water every few days - no need for filter (because the ammonia, then nitrite will start to build up in just a few days). But if you want ghost shrimp or fish to survive you will have to be sure to remove the chlorine or chloramine if you have municipal water for your water changes. Most municipal water supplies tend to go with chloramine now as it is much more stable in the water than chlorine - so just letting the water sit a day or so isn't as effective with chloramine. SO adding treatment as the choices Steve mentions are necessary. Doesn't matter to the turtle, though - they will do fine with chlorinated water. Turtles will also do OK with the ammonia and nitrites that a tank will go through, but I personally believe from my experiences, if left unchecked, it can lead to some skin / shell issues at least with some types of turtles. So if a long term setup - I definitely prefer to establish a filter.

If you do have a filter, it does need to get established and will go through a new tank cycle. The waste in a tank turns to ammonia, which will then be converted to Nitrite by beneficial bacteria as the bacteria starts to get established. The nitrite will then get converted to nitrate which is harmless except in really large concentrations. My tap water comes out with high levels of nitrate already - as is the case with many water supplies including most wells. Plants consume nitrate so many will keep plants in their tanks and ponds to help keep that more in check, as nitrate is plant fertilizer! IN a natural environment - that is the balanced cycle.

A filter will take 4 - 6 weeks to get established, but you can speed that by adding bacteria. With just your turtle and ghost shrimp I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just give it time before you expect the ghost shrimp to do well long term (If they survive the turtle!) It just will be important to use treated water for your water changes, and don't forget to only use treated water to clean your filter media - or you will be killing off the bacteria and have to start all over again.

Sorry I got so wordy, but no sure how to answer the question of cycling and nitrites / nitrates being harmful to ghost shimp vs turtles without a little explanation.
Thanks so much, Markw84!!! I kept freshwater aquariums for years, so i know to dechlorinate and adjust for pH. But the last time I had an aquarium was in 1991, and I don't remember much talk about "cycling" in freshwater fish keeping back then, so this is VERY helpful information!!!:)

SteveW

Yeah, what he said :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Glad this post was brought up! I dont get my turtles til a little later and i was planning on establishing the shrimp first and breeding them... learning a lot here! Thank you for the post!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
When I wrote "real turtle man", I'm referring to the fact that I am not all that experienced with turtles, and that I hold Anthony's knowledge and experience in high regard.

It was a self depreciating comment. I meant no offense to all the other turtle people who have been advising Moozillion too. :)
You're too kind, Really :)

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
ghost shrimps are feeder animals , like crickets and gold fish. they are mass produced and very cheap, so no vendors care too much about them during transportation/ storage/sale, as long as the total death rate is at an acceptable number that does not affect the profit.
so, maybe its not your fault