Giant sulcata

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
You've come to the right place for help with this guy! Good for you trying to set him/her up. Bet it's a female.

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi
Show us a picture of the tail and anal scutes. Hold the tortoise's back up against your torso with its nose pointed toward the sky ad have someone take a picture of the plastron shown the tail and anal scutes.

Is the tail longer than an inch? Is the plastron concave?
PXL_20231009_152019143.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So would I be alright with your 4x8 box or about how long will that last him?
I housed bigger ones than him in 4x4 boxes like the one in the thread. Very few of them outgrow that. A well built 4x8 box will last him until the wood rots. Maybe 15-20 years? Make the door 26-28 inches wide and 18-20 inches tall, and then make an insert to reduce the door opening size to hold in the heat on cooler days. The bigger the door, the more heat you lose out of it. Or the more heat that gets in during hot weather. I build the doors big enough to suit their eventual size, but then make a reducer to hold in more heat until they need a bigger opening to come and go.

A 100+ pound male sulcata will be around 24 inches wide, 16 inches tall when resting with the plastron on the ground, and about 32 inches long.