Glass found in coconut subtrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I found a large chunk of green glass in the coconut substrate I bought for my Russian Tort's pen! I usually do a spot clean every day while giving him a soak or letting him out for some exercise. The glass must have been in the coconut bark substrate! I bought four new bags recently and put two into his clean pen! I am so pissed at Pet Mountain where I purchased them! I had to email them and complain! It totally puts me off of ever buying it again from them! I was wondering if I should just use the eco bark I got for his summer outdoor enclosure? What do you people think? Any suggestions? He loves to burrow!IMAG0180.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
It would not be the fault of Pet Mountain where you purchased the coconut substrate. It would be the fault of the company that produces the substate as the piece of glass got in the substrate most likely during processing. I purchase a lot of things at Pet Mountain and I have found them to be a very great place to do business with. They have all kinds of pet supplies and their prices are so much cheaper than going to the local chain petstores. Also they have free shipping if you purchase a certain amount. When ordering substrate this especially saves me money. They do a fantastic job at packing the supplies purchased. They put a lot of bubble wrap around breakable things. Also anything that is liquid they tape the top of the bottle and then also put the bottle in a plastic bag just in case the box is damaged during shipping and the liquid starts leaking. I am expecting an order from Pet Mountain today or tomorrow. I am going to redo my two Stinkpots aquarium. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You can try writing the company who makes this product, and even send then the glass u found. Maybe they'll give u a gift certificate for your trouble.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would for sure contact the maker! Id be so pissed too if I was in your shoes! I'm happy you found it so it didn't hurt your tort!! I use eco earth coco coir and so far so good. But man does a story like this make me worry/nervous! Thanks for share'n this information, and let us know if you have any luck with your contact's. They for sure need to do something for you to help make this somewhat right.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
Pet Mountain emailed me back and seemed very concerned. They said that they will investigate the issue with the company that make the product. That was all they said for now.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I hope they do something so nobody end's up with a cut up tortoise. Plus they should give u something for your trouble/scare! :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I routinely sort through each new bag of any kind of substrate I get because I understand that the shredding process is going to include bits of plastic and yes, I've found glass too. It's like when I buy a bag of lentils and ALWAYS sort through it because I know that the bag will include other small grains and pebbles the same size as lentils. It would be nice if these products didn't include extraneous matter, but the labor involved in producing a 100% clean product would drive the price up immensely. I can expect and look for the junk for free, and keep my tortoises safe.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
I use the compressed brick coconut coir thing for my tort and it usually never has glass(even if I was unfortunate to find one).

Status
Not open for further replies.