Going away for 5 days... what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Hi folks,

I will be going away for 5 days and my neighbor who normally takes care of my little guy (young hermanns) while I'm away cannot take care of him. If I cannot find someone to feed him what should I do to ensure he will be ok when I get back? How about turning the lights out and keeping them off?

Thanks in advance...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello :)
Maybe you could bring him to the retile vet for 5 days. Mine take care of reptiles while people are away.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
they wont do it.. not really a good set up for torts anyhow which s why I'm looking for a real reptile vet... not easy to find in Toronto area...

any other suggestions? what will happen if I leave him alone with lights turned out? won't he become semi-dormant for the duration with a reduced metabolism?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have been experimenting while I am home, and find if I put a fresh head of Endive in the habitate in a cooler shaded area, it stays quite fresh for many days, longer than you might think. Not to say that some leaves don't get nasty. That may work and cool the envirement down a bit should work! Now you just have to worry about him flipping on his back!

BTW, I cut the bottom half inch off the Endive and soak it in water for a few hours before I put it in the cage, much like you would do for a Christmas tree!

I have been experimenting for several months so I don't have to be so dependent on others!

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Excellent suggestion bettinge! I will try it tomorrow...

I will let you know how it goes...

What about the water bowl? I suppose he can go w/o for a few days if he has the endive..

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would think if you leave a water bowl in the cage filled to the normal level that you will be OK for 5 days. Do you see him use it frequently? Maybe he won't even know its stale water!

Everything will slow if you are able to lower the temps a few degress "F" while away.

Too bad I can't help you out while away. "TO" is only about 50 miles away from Rochester....as the crow flies!

And yes, please let me know how it goes. Also, don't cut so much off the bottom of the head that its not a head anymore! A head will hold water and stay fresher than a leaf!

BTW, I ment to say Escrole, not Endive. I have expermented with both and think Escrole works best!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...You could use timers for his lights. I get mine at Walmart for about $5. Feed as much as he wants for a couple days before you leave, then leave the escarole for him and he should be fine. I wouldn't leave food for him without the light & heat cause he won't metabolize properly. The food could rot in his gut & make him sick.
Good luck
Patsy

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would try to bribe some neighbor kid and make sure the parents check that the tort is taken care of. The max I feel comfortable leaving my little guy is two nights. After that it's likely the water will be nasty. I don't leave out any food in that time--just feed him before I leave and when I get back, so it's really only one day without food. I would look for other options including having someone come over to take care of the tort (even every other day), or taking the tort in a Rubbermaid or whatever to someone's house. I am already lining up a sitter since we have 3 trips in the next year. Best wishes!

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
I do have a timer.. i was thinking about setting it so that it turns on later and goes off earlier thereby shortening the days and making him a bit less active...

He does use his water dish often... I often find it full of dirt (substrate is sand/soil 50/50)..

I cannot take him pn this trip unfortunately... and I've asked several people that I am comfortable with.. no go so far!

thnks for your tip! will let you know

p.s. he LOVES escarole!! will have to try...

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Siwash, How did the tort do while you were away? Did the escrole stay fresh?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
just feed him before you leave, have a timer, and in 5 days when you get back feed him again, they can go 5days without food

Status
Not open for further replies.