Golden Greek 3 mo old not gaining weight

GmaKathie

We got Greek Tort "Rocky" 4 weeks ago, and Golden Greek "Marigold" 3 weeks ago, hatchlings, but I don't know their ages. I weighed them 3 weeks ago, Rocky was 30.5 grams; Marigold was 19.8 grams. Today, Rocky is 37.2 grams, Marigold is only 19.5, which has me worried. I have not had Marigold checked for parasites, but after reading other postings here, I'll do that. But is it possible that Marigold is just taking longer to get adjusted? She eats okay, but does not attack her food like Rocky does, and is not as coordinated at holding down her foot and tearing the leaves. (we've assigned "she" and "he" for conversation sake but have no idea). She poops and pees, climbs and digs and responds to my voice, in general seems fine, tho not as energetic as Rocky. But he's a little over the top, I had to line the inside of his tank in the first week; when he started to see his reflection in the glass he started charging the walls, and chasing back and forth in the tank - it was crazy. Seems like a very aggressive little boy here. Back to Marigold - is there anything else you think I should do, other than feed her more often, and monitor her when she eats. Maybe dehydration? Rocky likes to sit in the water now and then, but I put her in the water and she get out immediately, so I haven't been forcing it I should probably be more regular with her soaking. When will I know I have a REAL problem? Thank you.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You need to soak your hatchlings every day. Put them in a container that is too tall for them to get out of. The water should be just lukewarm and I would keep them in there for at least 20 minutes. Do this separately of course, not both of them in the same one. Also, I would have food available all the time for your tortoises.
If you post pictures of your enclosure we can give you more specific suggestions. Also check out the Greek tortoise section for specific ideas and care. There is also a very good thread under the Russian tortoise section on caring for hatchlings. The care is very similar for Russians and Greeks. Hatchlings are fragile so you only have a certain amount of time to get things right.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Yes; posting pictures and reading care sheets as the 'Beginners Thread' would help you.

GmaKathie

Thanks. Here are Rocky (darker color) and Marigold having a soak, each in his/her casserole.
IMG_1119.JPG IMG_1107 (2).JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The occasional trip outside for real sunshine does wonders too. Babies need several things to grow - a good diet, heat, exercise, hydration and UVB (either from the sun or from an expensive UVB light)