What is Freddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
My personal recommendation would be that each year each tort needs a vet checkup and a fecal test. This is something you should have money put aside for (vet bills).

I'd get a new scale if yours isn't accurate; you could see if you can find a scale that measures less than humans but more than a kitchen scale...not sure if they make those. When you take them into the vet they get weighed too.

Does anyone know much an adult Greek can weigh? I looked up that a typical kitchen scale may weigh up to 2,000 grams (4.4 lb). Some may have a higher capacity though. Weighing a tort on a bathroom scale isn't going to be very accurate....I'm wondering what the other options are.

Yes, if they have already been exposed to each other then no use doing a quarantine now. That is for future reference. But, they could have parasites or similar without symptoms (my tort did)--you may not be in the clear.

I would really keep an eye on the aggression. That is good you have a large garden for them. Do they seem to each have their own area they stay in?

I don't understand this sentence; please clarify: "Let's say we were to get a male for them both... they are different sizes though of the same type as Spur thigh, but different variations. What would one reccommend?"

If you breed, you would want exactly the same subspecies for each, in my opinion. This is why you need to know what subspecies of tort you have. Some will disagree with this though.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
egyptiandan said:
In post #3 Terry there is a link to a plastron picture. :D It's a female all the way. :D It's probably from close to the range of T.g.whitei as it's very flared.

Danny

thanks danny i couldnt open the first picture only the photobucket link.if you have seen a plastron picture and say its female thats good enough for me.if you could send me that male of Kelly's i would be even happier lol.
terry
just found plastron picture ,sorry Danny you are correct of course all female.

S

stells

Oi Terry... you leave my boys alone... they are MINE lol

Lou... you don't want to breed Freddy to just any other male spur thigh... Algerians... esp females are very few and far between... believe me i know this i have been searching for one for the last 2 years....

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
stells said:
Oi Terry... you leave my boys alone... they are MINE lol

Lou... you don't want to breed Freddy to just any other male spur thigh... Algerians... esp females are very few and far between... believe me i know this i have been searching for one for the last 2 years....

Basil and Sage would be very welcome here with all these adult females .it looks like the 5 juveniles i have kept back could be female also.maybe its the jersey weather lol.
terry

Fushball

5 Year Member
UK
Are they really quite hard to come by? How cool!
Okay so each torty would have to find their own male, Freddy an Algerian spur thigh, and Mari a Mediterranean spur thigh. Cool, just checking. I have read that cross-breeding can produce infertile eggs anyway, but what I read wasn't clear over whether that was between different species eg. Desert tort and another type, or subspecies. Thought I'd check

:)

S

stells

Do the tortoises have paperwork with them? If you haven't you wouldn't be able to sell any of the offspring that were produced...

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
stells said:
Send them over here then... Pretty please :D

now if i did that how would i be able to get my own back for all the times you tease me with pictures of Basil and Sage.:p:D
terry

Fushball

5 Year Member
UK
Why not? Marigold might have some but Freddy certainly doesn't. Remember I'm in the UK, I don't know how the rules work here.

S

stells

I am in the UK too :D certain species.... such as Graeca need to have article 10's in place and microchips.... in order for you to be able to sell any offspring produced... without these you can rehome babies free of charge but if you were to sell them you would be breaking the law...

You would need to get them both microchipped and any partners for them microchipped if they are not already done... and change over the certs into your name by applying to DEFRA.... there is now a charge of £25 per tortoise for this...

For Freddy who has none... you would have to get her microchipped then apply to DEFRA for a certificate... you may be successful in getting them depending on how much evidence you can get about her history... then you may only be able to get breeding papers which you can sell offspring on but cannot sell the adults if you wanted too... you then as the breeder have to apply for certs for the hatchlings before you can sell them... at a cost of £25 a clutch...

Fushball

5 Year Member
UK
Hehe we can't afford any of that :p
Maybe no babies then lols. We defo bought Marigold though so she must have certs and things. Anyway I'm pretty sure mother doesn't want to breed them, but thought it might be useful to know in the future.
Ty :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
So for us in the US planing on moving to the UK it would cost us $40.50 US dollars to change over the certs into your name or to get a cert. Plus the cost of microchipping. But if we could only get breeding papers the adults we would have to keep for life (or give away) and pay $40.50 per clutch for cert papers for the hatchlings. Boy your Graeca are really regulated in the UK compared to the US.

Fushball

5 Year Member
UK
You guys can get torties in shops. A no-no here!

S

stells

Crazy1 said:
So for us in the US planing on moving to the UK it would cost us $40.50 US dollars to change over the certs into your name or to get a cert. Plus the cost of microchipping. But if we could only get breeding papers the adults we would have to keep for life (or give away) and pay $40.50 per clutch for cert papers for the hatchlings. Boy your Graeca are really regulated in the UK compared to the US.

Yep spot on Robyn... same with some other species too... Hermanns and Marginated... and a few others... i recently had to get a trio of graeca sorted out with certs... it cost me £60 for the microchips then £50 for the certs as two came into the country at the same time and they only charged me one fee as they were the same species... so £110 for 3 tortoises all in all..

Status
Not open for further replies.