Fire injured tortoise is built a 3D printed shell by vets and 3d artist.

Mr Buster

Location (City and/or State)
Reno NV
"When Freddy the tortoise was caught in a bush fire in Brazil, his chances of survival were slim. But thanks to a group of pioneering surgeons known as The Animal Avengers, Freddy not only survived his ordeal – he is also now the proud owner of the world’s first 3D printed shell!"

http://www.boredpanda.com/tortoise-3d-printed-shell-freddy/

Mr Buster

Reno NV
They will have to supplement him D3 because the shell is plastic so while he may bask for warmth he would not be able to get the D3 he needs to process calcium. That is just a guess. I like the paint job though.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They will have to supplement him D3 because the shell is plastic so while he may bask for warmth he would not be able to get the D3 he needs to process calcium. That is just a guess. I like the paint job though.
UVB is absorbed through the skin, not the shell. That hasn't changed.

It's the capacity of the plastic shell to absorb and hold heat that will differ from the original. Putting plastic under a 100F source could melt it!

Prognathodon

NE Illinois
Putting plastic under a 100F source could melt it!

There are *many* different materials that fall under the catch-all term "plastic". I have silicone cookware that's good up to something like 400 F. I read an article about this a couple months ago and so don't remember if it said precisely what was used for the shell, but if they were working with experienced vet/keepers (assumed since the poor critter was pulled through is injuries), I expect the shell requirements were thoroughly discussed, so the new shell isn't going to melt the first time he basks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There are *many* different materials that fall under the catch-all term "plastic". I have silicone cookware that's good up to something like 400 F. I read an article about this a couple months ago and so don't remember if it said precisely what was used for the shell, but if they were working with experienced vet/keepers (assumed since the poor critter was pulled through is injuries), I expect the shell requirements were thoroughly discussed, so the new shell isn't going to melt the first time he basks.
I'm sure they did, but the fact that it was 3D printed suggests that the plastic has a lower melting point than silicon.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
That's interesting. I had assumed that torts had spines that were integral to their shell, like boxies.
Lucky for Freddy, that does not seem to be the case.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA