Good advice on Russian Tortoises appreciated.

erickrawls

Location (City and/or State)
Shawnee oklahoma
Hello I could use some help with my Russian tortoises. Is there better uvb bulbs then what my local pets mart has on the shelf? if so what? and how can I get my little buddies to eat repcal calcium? its in a powder form and when I mix it with food like spring mix or there grass pellets they will not eat it. is 85-90 degrees fine? also how can I measure or create the right humidity in there enclosure? Thanks.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
The UVB bulbs that I use are the Arcadia 12% T5 HO fluorescent tubes. You'll find them and the ballast cheapest on Reptile Basics Inc website.

I leave a cuttlebone in the enclosures for babies to munch on. But if you want to use the powder and sprinkling doesn't work, try adding a little water and stir a few pieces of food in it to soak up the mixture.

Basking temp should be 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity for babies should be around 80%, which can be achieved by keeping substrate damp, providing a humid hide, and covering the enclosure to keep heat and humidity in. "Hot and humid" is the key. Digital thermometer + hygrometer with probes is what I use to monitor my temps and humidity.

Pics of your enclosure would certainly help us to see if anything might need tweaking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have a couple good carsheets to read in the russian section.
How many do you have and are you housing them in the same enclosure and how big is that enclosure?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Using any coiled or cfll type of bulb isn't advised because of the risks of damage to tort eyes.