Good CHE brand? mine keep dying...

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So I've gone through 3 or 4 CHEs in the last 3 years and I feel like they should last longer than that. I have them in a ceramic fixture made for CHEs (Zoo med I think). I bought my first bulb at petsmart and ordered the rest from Amazon (zoo med and exo terra brands). Do I maybe have a bad fixture or could the humidity be killing them? My newest one just died and I thought I'd ask before getting a new one (its safe enough to wait this time of year).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, this has got too be a first. I would guess more the fixture. I have never had one blow on me and I have even accidentally sprayed them with cold water while they were piping hot. I have never even heard of one blowing until now. I have used both brands sold at Petco's, petsmart, etc.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Actually I did have one CHE go out one me before too. It was a Exo terra, but it was a total fluke. The manufacturer even was scratching their head because I have another one that has been performing flawlessly.

With that being said, I would look at your fixture like I did by switching it out. Then the bulb.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Ok thanks guys....the first two I assumed it was a humidity thing because the ceramic part separated from the metal screw. Not all the way just enough for it to wiggle. but this new one looks completely fine and just wont heat up.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I lost one right after the power went out not too long ago, would not come back on. I have it on a surge protector now and changed my fixture for good messure.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
With that many blowouts, it has got to be the fixture like some have stated. Make sure the CHE wattage doesn't exceed the wattage allowance of the fixture. Also, I know you're using only a ceramic socket, but, again, if you use a CHE of 150w and the fixture's limit of wattage is 100, that will explain the blowouts. Having said that, if the fixture meets all the requirements , I would bet money it's the fixture rather than the CHE.