Good progress ??

de0908

Hi all, just thought I'd post an update on Yoda. He is 8 months old now. We have had him since he was 3 months old. When we got him he weighed in at 87g and had a SCL of 7 cm. He also had some very slight pyramiding. He now weighs in 244g with a SCL of 9.5cm. I'm hoping we have halted the pyramiding as his new growth is looking pretty smooth. Do his stats sound ok and is his shell looking good ??
Thanksyoda1.jpg yoda2.jpg yoda1.jpg yoda2.jpg yoda1.jpg yoda2.jpg

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Looks like he is doing well , Weight and size are sort of arbitrary at that age . As long as you are seeing steady growth .

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, Hawaii
Nice-looking juvenile. What I don't see are the whitish "growth rings" between the scutes where keratin is being deposited, but that may be because its carapace is so wet. And you really don't "halt" pyramiding as much as you let the shell grow at its proper rate so the prior pyramiding becomes less & less obvious. Do be sure that Yoda gets lots of plant protein, & very little animal protein (i.e., dog/cat food, etc.). There are several theories that pyramiding may also be caused by giving the right foods, but not enough exercising, so make sure that there's a herp log or something similar that Yoda can climb around on.

And don't worry about its weight, & enjoy Yoda while it's small - believe me that when Yoda is knocking down your walls & fences, you'll wish that it was small again!

Ken