Got a new enclosure for my sully

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
Picked this up for 220 bucks. The guy that had it used it for two pythons. I just cleaned it all out tonight and ordered some new bulbs that should be here soon. I'm going to do a reptisun fluorescent for his UVB and a zoo med 150 watt basking lamp for his heat. Substrate is going to be top soil and eco earth and I'll add some sphagnum moss as well. The guy did a really good job on it. It's 5ft by 2ft. I'm hoping this enclosure will last him until he's able to stay outside. Not sure what I'm going to do with that extra shelf. Maybe add a plant to add some greenery. I think I got a pretty good deal. What do you guys think? I'll add more pics as I get everything installed. ImageUploadedByTortForum1384411750.918560.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn, VA
Chrisbarrett27 said:
Picked this up for 220 bucks. The guy that had it used it for two pythons. I just cleaned it all out tonight and ordered some new bulbs that should be here soon. I'm going to do a reptisun fluorescent for his UVB and a zoo med 150 watt basking lamp for his heat. Substrate is going to be top soil and eco earth and I'll add some sphagnum moss as well. The guy did a really good job on it. It's 5ft by 2ft. I'm hoping this enclosure will last him until he's able to stay outside. Not sure what I'm going to do with that extra shelf. Maybe add a plant to add some greenery. I think I got a pretty good deal. What do you guys think? I'll add more pics as I get everything installed.

Neat, if you want suggestions for the shelf mine would be to use hanging plants to create a semi private space (basically draping down to create a curtain effect).

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
That's a good idea. I have to go to lowes anyway to grab the top soil. Maybe I'll grab one if those plants. Thanks dude!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I wanted to suggest the same thing.

Maybe put your humid hide under the shelf and have a plant that hangs over sit on top of it :)

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
That looks to be concrete and/over wood with a glass or plexi front, is that correct?

If so you can use a special hole saw to put an opening in the back of the enclosure under the shelf but above your substrate level (just above works best in my experience) to insert a flex hose and attach the far end to your humidifier for a lovely effect that is cool to see coming through the plants AND more importantly beneficial.

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
I didn't even think of the humidifier idea. :). In my experience humidifiers usually blow cold air. Do they make special ones that blow warm air? It's actually lined with grout not concrete. The frame is wood and you're right it is plexiglass. Any other suggestions. I'll be adding more pics this weekend. Do you Gus think 220 was a good deal?! I did the math and it's about 175 gallons. Similar all glass tanks go for more than that I believe. Plus this was specially made so that's a us. It also has 3 vent holes on each side in the front and three register holes on the top which can't be seen because of the lid being up.

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
Finally made some progress. Still waiting on his UVB bulb. Should have it by Monday! Let me know what you think. ImageUploadedByTortForum1384662045.386710.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384662060.536958.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384662071.237082.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384662085.038677.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I have a,(I believe) zoomed fogger setup for my sulcata yearling. It's hooked up to a hydro therm and comes on as needed. I believe the cool air humidifiers are better in that nasty things tend to grow in the warm air ones. I place shovelfuls of weeds/grass in my enclosure for food, and I have the,“fogger" mist go directly on the greens. This helps keep the food hydrated as well as adding the humidity that is needed for smooth growth. Looking at your baby, it needs more moisture in its environment.

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
Right on man thanks. I put more sphagnum moss along the wall near his basking light and my hygrometer is reading 85%. It's a nice fluker digital one. I'm going to check his temps again tomorrow and make sure everything is legit. He walked around for a good 3 hours before finally passing out beside his hide. I think he's enjoying it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love this enclosure. It looks fantastic. I wish someone made one commercially like this that people could order up and have delivered.

You have got to put some hanging plants in there on that shelf and make a "curtain" like sterling suggested. You also need a proper humid hide in there.

You are going to have one healthy baby with that enclosure!

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Chrisbarrett27 said:
I didn't even think of the humidifier idea. :). In my experience humidifiers usually blow cold air. Do they make special ones that blow warm air? It's actually lined with grout not concrete. The frame is wood and you're right it is plexiglass. Any other suggestions. I'll be adding more pics this weekend. Do you Gus think 220 was a good deal?! I did the math and it's about 175 gallons. Similar all glass tanks go for more than that I believe. Plus this was specially made so that's a us. It also has 3 vent holes on each side in the front and three register holes on the top which can't be seen because of the lid being up.

They make warm air humidifiers but you would be fine with a standard, the water is room temperature or warmer if you fill it with hot water. The heat in the enclosure is more than enogh to keep the vapor warm. I maintain between 85-95% humidity and have a range between 85 and 125 degrees in my enclosure.

It's looking good, you'll likely be tweaking it for another month or so. $220 is certainly worth it if you are happy with it!