Got a Tortoise as a gift

dej

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai UAE
Hello, I got a tortoise as a gift from a friend. Just want to ask which specie of tortoise is this and how I would take care my new pet. And also How I would know which gender I got. IMG_4036.jpg
Thank you. IMG_4034.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I'm not good ad I.D.ing the Testudo species, so I'll send a shout-out to @HermanniChris and @Markw84

In order to tell the gender, they're going to need to see the underside of the shell including the tail.

Reactions: dej

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet that's a female egyptian tortoise, but wait for the other guys to confirm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Testudo kleinmani

I was wrong. According to Markw84, that's a Greek tortoise - Testudo graeca terrestris

Because of its size, it's still too young to know the gender.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I can't help with species either but can tell you the enclosure will need improving. Be sure to check the caresheet when you find out exactly what you have. In the mean time the substrate and size of enclosure will have to be improved no matter what species it is. Much larger enclosure even for a young one and coconut coir or orchid bark for substrate or plain dirt always works for any of them.

dej

Dubai UAE
Hello and Welcome. I can't help with species either but can tell you the enclosure will need improving. Be sure to check the caresheet when you find out exactly what you have. In the mean time the substrate and size of enclosure will have to be improved no matter what species it is. Much larger enclosure even for a young one and coconut coir or orchid bark for substrate or plain dirt always works for any of them.

Thanks for the info, yeah I will make the enclosure improved in no time. Just want to know the do’s and don’t. And the specie so I will know what to do.
Thanks

dej

Dubai UAE
Testudo kleinmani

I was wrong. According to Markw84, that's a Greek tortoise - Testudo graeca terrestris

Because of its size, it's still too young to know the gender.

Thanks for the help.
Just one more quick question is it always sleeping and i never saw her eats or drink her water since yesterday. She always basked under the lamp. Is it normal?

Anirbas_1

Thanks for the help.
Just one more quick question is it always sleeping and i never saw her eats or drink her water since yesterday. She always basked under the lamp. Is it normal?
How warm is her enclosure? Does she have UVB lighting? If it’s to cold she won’t eat. Can you figure out a place for her to be outdoors safely at least during the day? Nothing makes up for real sunlight.
Also make sure you have a reptile vet lined up for just in case.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

dej

Dubai UAE
How warm is her enclosure? Does she have UVB lighting? If it’s to cold she won’t eat. Can you figure out a place for her to be outdoors safely at least during the day? Nothing makes up for real sunlight.
Also make sure you have a reptile vet lined up for just in case.

She’s eating now :)
Thank you :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She is beautiful, congrats!

Is that substrate pine wood shavings? If it is, It's a no-no for any reptile, please get rid of it.

All the best with your new pet, you came to the right place for help!