Got her set up going good

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I don't live in Ohio. I live in the UK.

I was incorrect with saying about an MVB.. see lisa127's post just above.

I still recommend removing from a window area as it does make temperature control very difficult.

A closed chamber, a ceramic heater with a thermostat used 24/7 and a UVB bulb is what is needed.

If you choose to continue with a compact UVB that is up to you, but your tort does need the CHE and thermostat to ensure temperature stability.

Getting people mixed up here cause my is being weird and I'm new to app sorry. [emoji85]

Pet store has told me some things differently though.

I have uvb

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Getting people mixed up here cause my is being weird and I'm new to app sorry. [emoji85]

Pet store has told me some things differently though.

I have uvb
Like I said earlier, few pet stores actually know what they're talking about when it comes to the correct care of turtles and tortoises.

They're in business to sell stuff and just trot out what information they think is vaguely correct no matter how outdated or incorrect it is.

People like @lisa127 actually keep these animals. People like me haven't kept this species, but have decades of experience with other species. We have come together on TFO largely because the information on the internet, in books and from pet stores is outdated, contradictory and incorrect... We have come together to get things right for the creatures in our care

You can choose to follow what the pet store says. You can choose to follow what the species experts here say. I recommend you forget the pet store and follow the TFO advice

North Carolina
My point is 75 watt bulb on 10 inches by 20 inches of space can overheat regardless of your house temp. You need a temp gun!

Ultimately your set up is your choice of course. I'm assuming this is the first baby you have raised? I'm just trying to help.....

I have no issue with black heat bulbs, btw. I use them myself.

First baby yes.
And that's what I was thinking to the pet store people cause they gave me 50 watt for basking
Then again I had to prove to them that it was a box turtle and not a mud turtle. -__- I proved the owner of the store wrong about the type of turtle she is lol
But I think they gave 75 because Of how cold I said I keep it at night.. I wake up like 3 times during the night to use the restroom and I'll go mist her tank when I do lol

I know you are
I get told sometimes I come off rude but I don't mean to sound that way so I try to add a lot of lols so people know. But soemtimes I forget.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
First baby yes.
And that's what I was thinking to the pet store people cause they gave me 50 watt for basking
Then again I had to prove to them that it was a box turtle and not a mud turtle. -__- I proved the owner of the store wrong about the type of turtle she is lol
But I think they gave 75 because Of how cold I said I keep it at night.. I wake up like 3 times during the night to use the restroom and I'll go mist her tank when I do lol

I know you are
I get told sometimes I come off rude but I don't mean to sound that way so I try to add a lot of lols so people know. But soemtimes I forget.
My house is kept at 68 at night and during the day, in winter anyway. For babies my enclosure is a 55 gallon Rubbermaid tub. I use gentle heat at night but 75 watts on 10 gallons is lots of heat not gentle heat.

North Carolina
Like I said earlier, few pet stores actually know what they're talking about when it comes to the correct care of turtles and tortoises.

They're in business to sell stuff and just trot out what information they think is vaguely correct no matter how outdated or incorrect it is.

People like @lisa127 actually keep these animals. People like me haven't kept this species, but have decades of experience with other species. We have come together on TFO largely because the information on the internet, in books and from pet stores is outdated, contradictory and incorrect... We have come together to get things right for the creatures in our care

You can choose to follow what the pet store says. You can choose to follow what the species experts here say. I recommend you forget the pet store and follow the TFO advice

I hardly listen to them, because most the time I know what I'm talking about or looking for and they think I don't. I've had aquatic turtles and even hung out with a box turtle a few different times in my yard and fed them some carrots and berries and let them be on their way.
My sister had a bearded dragon
Other than that and the aquatic turtles this is my first baby reptile
Im 100% your girl when it comes to hamsters, guinea pigs, dogs,cats, rabbits, all the mammals lol
But I'm only at like a 65-70% knowledge with reptiles.

anything I've went and got from pet store is because I'll google and it'll bring up turtle forum and then I'll normally click it and so I decided to sign up
pretty much it has been turtle forum helping me lol
When I went in there and had to insist over and over and google with the owner for ten minutes on rather she is a box turtle and not a mud turtle, just to find out I was right which I knew the whole time, made me realize they probably only know about red ear sliders because they have those as pets in their shop.
Anytime I've went in there they act like they know everything
They told me that if I had her near window or keep it really cold in my house that I'd need a strong heat bulb at night because it's just one bulb on and she's beside window
Which slightly makes since
I'm working on the thermometer issue.
I know I need one asap but I know she's not doing bad without it really while I'm having to wait on it.
I like to order from petsmart rather than going to store.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I hardly listen to them, because most the time I know what I'm talking about or looking for and they think I don't. I've had aquatic turtles and even hung out with a box turtle a few different times in my yard and fed them some carrots and berries and let them be on their way.
My sister had a bearded dragon
Other than that and the aquatic turtles this is my first baby reptile
Im 100% your girl when it comes to hamsters, guinea pigs, dogs,cats, rabbits, all the mammals lol
But I'm only at like a 65-70% knowledge with reptiles.

anything I've went and got from pet store is because I'll google and it'll bring up turtle forum and then I'll normally click it and so I decided to sign up
pretty much it has been turtle forum helping me lol
When I went in there and had to insist over and over and google with the owner for ten minutes on rather she is a box turtle and not a mud turtle, just to find out I was right which I knew the whole time, made me realize they probably only know about red ear sliders because they have those as pets in their shop.
Anytime I've went in there they act like they know everything
They told me that if I had her near window or keep it really cold in my house that I'd need a strong heat bulb at night because it's just one bulb on and she's beside window
Which slightly makes since
I'm working on the thermometer issue.
I know I need one asap but I know she's not doing bad without it really while I'm having to wait on it.
I like to order from petsmart rather than going to store.
You need a temperature gun from home depot or lowes, not petsmart.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They have thermometers you can put in the tank and on the side
Yes, those are not accurate. A temperature gun is. A gun you can also point and click to get temps everywhere in enclosure. Every reptile keeper should have one.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
A big thing to remember with these hatchling is that hydration and humidity is your number one concern. Warm humid air is what you want, not hot and dry air. So you want to use the least amount of watts to achieve your temps.

North Carolina
A big thing to remember with these hatchling is that hydration and humidity is your number one concern. Warm humid air is what you want, not hot and dry air. So you want to use the least amount of watts to achieve your temps.

It's always moist in there
I have a spray bottle
I can see humidity on the side of tank and can feel it when my hand it in there

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I raised one of my babies in a tank, but it was a 20 long not a 10. I turned a screen the wrong way (front to back) on one end and placed my heat lamp on it. I placed an 18 inch uvb strip the wrong way in the middle next to the lamp. I then put plexiglass on the opposite ed covering the rest of the top to hold humidity. I used a 50 watt black heat bulb on a rheostat set on high during day and low/medium at night. Damp substrate and large very shallow water pan.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's always moist in there
I have a spray bottle
I can see humidity on the side of tank and can feel it when my hand it in there
Spraying alone isn't sufficient to maintain humidity. The substrate needs to be damp throughout which means taking all the decor out and then mixing water tipped in from a jug in with your hands untill all the substrate is damp but not wet.

Spraying can be used to slow the rate at which the substrate dries out, but is not sufficient on its own.

Every few weeks you will have to get the jug and repeat the exercise to get the substrate damp again.

North Carolina
Spraying alone isn't sufficient to maintain humidity. The substrate needs to be damp throughout which means taking all the decor out and then mixing water tipped in from a jug in with your hands untill all the substrate is damp but not wet.

Spraying can be used to slow the rate at which the substrate dries out, but is not sufficient on its own.

Every few weeks you will have to get the jug and repeat the exercise to get the substrate damp again.

I do that but with spray bottle because it a small tank and I'm me and if I'm pouring something I'm gonna mess up and do way to much by accident lol
So I do it with sprays
It's moist down inside the substrate trust me lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I do that but with spray bottle because it a small tank and I'm me and if I'm pouring something I'm gonna mess up and do way to much by accident lol
So I do it with sprays
It's moist down inside the substrate trust me lol
You seem determined to do things your way. There is little point in me continuing here. Good luck

North Carolina
You seem determined to do things your way. There is little point in me continuing here. Good luck

I'm saying I do what you're saying but I don't in a different way other than a jug. I dont trust myself to pour it because hers is so small it's not gonna take as much to make it damp and not to wet like you say. So I spray and spray and spray until that is the way the dirt feels so I don't accidentally over do it.

North Carolina

I'm saying I do what you're saying but I don't in a different way other than a jug. I dont trust myself to pour it because hers is so small it's not gonna take as much to make it damp and not to wet like you say. So I spray and spray and spray until that is the way the dirt feels so I don't accidentally over do it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Maybe it would make things easier if he were in a larger enclosure. Im currenting raising a 14 month old in this.

Attachments

• 20171018_105120.jpg
    20171018_105120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20171018_105105.jpg
    20171018_105105.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22