Got her set up going good

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I still haven't named her yet but I got her stuff in the mail today and got her little home set up

IMG_4432.jpg IMG_1508541529.407526.jpg

IMG_1508541554.563398.jpg

Also including what her uvb lamp looks like it is a 5 and the other on in the second pic is her basking bulb
At night I only have a black light heat lamp one

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this for a hatchling? Cuz it's too small more anything larger.
The metal mesh/screen will block a lot of the uvb, so cut a hole in it the size of the bulb.
I don't understand what the 5 for the bulb means.
It's not a coil bulb right? Cuz they can cause eye problems.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If it's a 5.0 tube type uvb that is perfect. Personally, I would use the black heat bulb or a CHE for heat during the day as well. Only because the enclosure is small so the uvb plus white heat bulb is too much brightness in that small space for a forest species IMO. And I agree the size is only good for a small hatchling.

If that fixture is holding uvb then it is a compact and unfortunately not a good choice. You want the long tube type.

North Carolina
Is this for a hatchling? Cuz it's too small more anything larger.
The metal mesh/screen will block a lot of the uvb, so cut a hole in it the size of the bulb.
I don't understand what the 5 for the bulb means.
It's not a coil bulb right? Cuz they can cause eye problems.

Yes she is a hatchling, IMG_4423.jpg

I've had her for almost 2 weeks now and she's doing pretty good I'm thinking. She's starting to try eating.
One of her eyes were already messed up because she was in the middle of a dirt road. And it's clearing up some now. But still got the drops incase. The box just said reptile basking bulb
I believe it's 50 watts. I have them on the screen for now cause I have to get something fixed up to hang them

North Carolina
If it's a 5.0 tube type uvb that is perfect. Personally, I would use the black heat bulb or a CHE for heat during the day as well. Only because the enclosure is small so the uvb plus white heat bulb is too much brightness in that small space for a forest species IMO. And I agree the size is only good for a small hatchling.

If that fixture is holding uvb then it is a compact and unfortunately not a good choice. You want the long tube type.

I'm a stay at home doggie mom at the moment so I check on her often and if her water feels really warm or if the temperature happens to be 75 or up in my home
I turn off the basking bulb for a bit and mist her substrate and then turn it on a little later when her water gets colder but I read that the uva in their basking bulbs can help their eyes see "the world of color"

IMG_1508579410.956068.jpg
I don't have the tube one because I felt it was a little ridiculous to spend that much on the tube and the fixture when I'm just gonna switch her tank to something bigger by Christmas hopefully

I have a tube uvb for a 15 gallon but it's a 12
And this is a 10 gallon
And my heat bulb at night is 75 watt cause it gets cold in my house at night, (I'm probably one of the worst to own a reptile cause I love it cold lol)
During the day it's warmer at least 73 in my house and the basking bulb is 50 watt. During night it gets like 68-72 in my house so I know she need the black heat bulb for sure at night
I don't have a thermometer for the tank yet either so I use my house temperature to kinda judge cause I live in a double wide so the heat of the sun or the coldness comes through pretty easy.
She seems to be wanting to eat I saw her open her mouth all the way but didn't go down toward the meal worm or anything

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I was also told by the pet store that she'll go to uvb light when she needs it that they know the difference

Complete and utter twaddle and proves the pet store knows nothing.

They will go to heat when they need to bask and move away from it when they’re warm enough. Being cold-blooded they cannot generate their own body heat to digest food and be active so must warm up using the sun or a lamp. They thermoregulate, control their body temperature, by moving into and out of hot spots as they also can’t sweat to cool down like you can.

UVB is a general exposure. They have no idea. They certainly don’t try to bask in UVB and move away when they have had enough.

Both lamps must be on for 12-14 hours. Nobody turns the sun off and neither should you.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm a stay at home doggie mom at the moment so I check on her often and if her water feels really warm or if the temperature happens to be 75 or up in my home
I turn off the basking bulb for a bit and mist her substrate and then turn it on a little later when her water gets colder but I read that the uva in their basking bulbs can help their eyes see "the world of color"

View attachment 220901
I don't have the tube one because I felt it was a little ridiculous to spend that much on the tube and the fixture when I'm just gonna switch her tank to something bigger by Christmas hopefully

I have a tube uvb for a 15 gallon but it's a 12
And this is a 10 gallon
And my heat bulb at night is 75 watt cause it gets cold in my house at night, (I'm probably one of the worst to own a reptile cause I love it cold lol)
During the day it's warmer at least 73 in my house and the basking bulb is 50 watt. During night it gets like 68-72 in my house so I know she need the black heat bulb for sure at night
I don't have a thermometer for the tank yet either so I use my house temperature to kinda judge cause I live in a double wide so the heat of the sun or the coldness comes through pretty easy.
She seems to be wanting to eat I saw her open her mouth all the way but didn't go down toward the meal worm or anything
If that is a ten gallon then you definetely need a temperature gun like now as a heating bulb plus uvb can easily ovetheat and guessing is not good. At any rate I was originally talking about brightness not heat. With all those bright bulbs in a 10 gallon there is no dim areas for him to hide in. Box turtles are forest species and appreciate some dappled sun.

Why couldn't you buy a tube uvb now and use it later as well?

North Carolina
If that is a ten gallon then you definetely need a temperature gun like now as a heating bulb plus uvb can easily ovetheat and guessing is not good. At any rate I was originally talking about brightness not heat. With all those bright bulbs in a 10 gallon there is no dim areas for him to hide in. Box turtles are forest species and appreciate some dappled sun.

The bigger tank I get the longer one I'll need
And she's a hatchling so there's quite a bit of eco dirt in there that I keep moist and she has her hiding log so I think she will be alright since I've had her almost two weeks now and she seems better than she did when I found her and I keep the lights on one side because she is a hatchling and needs to have the cooler side
I'm in NC and it's getting pretty cold now and I have her in front of a window and I don't heat my house above 73 at night or day at night I sometimes let it get to 68 and the room I keep her in the vent half works so it's colder in there in general. Because I keep the door shut cause I have a cat and then the vent
I also always find the bigger ones chilling in fields in the sun in the summer and she actually chooses the light most of the time.
Idk how it is with the weather in a lot of other places but where I am it goes back and forth so her body temp could do the same because of the climate she is around
Even in October, like yesterday it was about 73 out side with no wing and it was so warm I could've took her for a walk outside in my hand but last night it stayed 70 in my house with no heat or air coming on and keep in mind it's cooler than 70 in the room I have her in at night and when it's 73 during the day
(that's the highest it gets the lowest during day is 71 cause sometimes I'll turn air on because I get hot easily as well lol) soit's gonna be a little cooler in there too because the room is smaller than the others and I keep door shut

So in the morning I turn off heat lamp turn on just uvb mist her substrate and then in a couple hours turn on basking lamp and then when I go back and check on her after eating and she's in the dirt hiding or in water I'm making the wild assumption she's warm and turn off the light
I find testing the water temperature let's you know around where the tank is because it's gonna be hotter than the water.

Could i use the 12 tube I have for a fifteen gallon for less hours?

I was told she'd go to the shady cool side when she needs it and the lights when she needs them
Which she actually seems to do that..

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
And she's a hatchling so there's quite a bit of eco dirt in there that I keep moist and she has her hiding log so I think she will be alright since I've had her almost two weeks now and she seems better than she did when I found her and I keep the lights on one side because she is a hatchling and needs to have the cooler side
I'm in NC and it's getting pretty cold now and I have her in front of a window and I don't heat my house above 73 at night or day at night I sometimes let it get to 68 and the room I keep her in the vent half works so it's colder in there in general. Because I keep the door shut cause I have a cat and then the vent
I also always find the bigger ones chilling in fields in the sun in the summer and she actually chooses the light most of the time.
Idk how it is with the weather in a lot of other places but where I am it goes back and forth so her body temp could do the same because of the climate she is around
Even in October, like yesterday it was about 73 out side with no wing and it was so warm I could've took her for a walk outside in my hand but last night it stayed 70 in my house with no heat or air coming on and keep in mind it's cooler than 70 in the room I have her in at night and when it's 73 during the day
(that's the highest it gets the lowest during day is 71 cause sometimes I'll turn air on because I get hot easily as well lol) soit's gonna be a little cooler in there too because the room is smaller than the others and I keep door shut

So in the morning I turn off heat lamp turn on just uvb mist her substrate and then in a couple hours turn on basking lamp and then when I go back and check on her after eating and she's in the dirt hiding or in water I'm making the wild assumption she's warm and turn off the light
I find testing the water temperature let's you know around where the tank is because it's gonna be hotter than the water.

I was told she'd go to the shady cool side when she needs it and the lights when she needs them
I dont know what you mean by a 12 tube. Can i see a photo?

Your house temp is irrelevant to what I'm saying. You need a temp gun. You have hot lamps over a space of 10 inches by 20 inches.

Of course they bask in the wild. But they are a forest species and need a dimmer area as well.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

It doesn't quite work like that. You don't have to have a tube that is the full length of the enclosure.

The problem with compact bulbs is eye damage. Some people do seem to use them successfully, but time and again we see torts on TFO with awful eye problems that clear up when the compact bulb is removed.

A Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) that provides UVB light and basking heat in one bukb may work best for you in a small hatchling enclosure. Then get the separate bulbs when your tortoise is bigger and the enclosure larger.

A hatchling needs temperatures warmer than 73F day and night. Heat/light through window glass is not helpful. UVB doesn't pass through glass and windows can cause chilly drafts or dangerously hot conditions, even in winter, if the sun shines on the enclosure through the window. Your enclosure is better sited away from the window. At night your tortoise must have supplementary heat, but complete darkness. This should be a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) used with a thermostat set to 80F. It can be on 24/7 as the thermostat ensures it will only cut in if needed.

North Carolina
I dont know what you mean by a 12 tube. Can i see a photo?

Your house temp is irrelevant to what I'm saying. You need a temp gun. You have hot lamps over a space of 10 inches by 20 inches.

Of course they bask in the wild. But they are a forest species and need a dimmer area as well.

Like it's uv is 12 instead of 5

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

@lisa127 is the setup for these more like Redfoots? By that do they actually need a CHE and a UVB tube combo rather than an Mvb or a basking lamp and a separate UVB?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
@lisa127 is the setup for these more like Redfoots? By that do they actually need a CHE and a UVB tube combo rather than an Mvb or a basking lamp and a separate UVB?
Yes, similar to redfoot but cooler temps.

No MVB for box turtles.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My setups for my box turtles are identical to my redfoots. The only difference is I keep my box turtles about 5 degrees cooler than red and the box turtles cool down a bit at night.

Last edited:
North Carolina
It doesn't quite work like that. You don't have to have a tube that is the full length of the enclosure.

The problem with compact bulbs is eye damage. Some people do seem to use them successfully, but time and again we see torts on TFO with awful eye problems that clear up when the compact bulb is removed.

A Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) that provides UVB light and basking heat in one bukb may work best for you in a small hatchling enclosure. Then get the separate bulbs when your tortoise is bigger and the enclosure larger.

A hatchling needs temperatures warmer than 73F day and night. Heat/light through window glass is not helpful. UVB doesn't pass through glass and windows can cause chilly drafts or dangerously hot conditions, even in winter, if the sun shines on the enclosure through the window. Your enclosure is better sited away from the window. At night your tortoise must have supplementary heat, but complete darkness. This should be a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) used with a thermostat set to 80F. It can be on 24/7 as the thermostat ensures it will only cut in if needed.

I'm aware it needs to be hotter than 73 that's why there's a heat bulb. And I also know uvb doesn't pass through the tank glass.
The temp of your house has everything to do with your lamps because if you keep your heat at 85 or your air on 70 it's gonna make a big difference on how easily those lamps heat that tank
and the only sun on that window is when it comes up at 7:30 till about 10:30 when it reaches my roof. And there's a curtain there so.

I was informing you I have her near a window so there for it is colder because of those possible chilly drafts you mentioned because it's NC And it's October.
It's not even completely dark out side at night so that makes no sense the moon and stars provide light so therefore I have a black heat lamp on at night. Very dim and I'm sure when she buries her self it's completely pitch black.

You live in Ohio so box turtles there may be more use to the cold weather and may not need their heat lamp or basking lamp as often or as strong of one but she seems to enjoy hers.
The lights are on one side of the tank so she can decide what she wants herself and she decides to be under the light more than not.
But turtles here have a bit different climate than Ohio.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm aware it needs to be hotter than 73 that's why there's a heat bulb. And I also know uvb doesn't pass through the tank glass.
The temp of your house has everything to do with your lamps because if you keep your heat at 85 or your air on 70 it's gonna make a big difference on how easily those lamps heat that tank
and the only sun on that window is when it comes up at 7:30 till about 10:30 when it reaches my roof. And there's a curtain there so.

I was informing you I have her near a window so there for it is colder because of those possible chilly drafts you mentioned because it's NC And it's October.
It's not even completely dark out side at night so that makes no sense the moon and stars provide light so therefore I have a black heat lamp on at night. Very dim and I'm sure when she buries her self it's completely pitch black.

You live in Ohio so box turtles there may be more use to the cold weather and may not need their heat lamp or basking lamp as often or as strong of one but she seems to enjoy hers.
The lights are on one side of the tank so she can decide what she wants herself and she decides to be under the light more than not.
I don't live in Ohio. I live in the UK.

I was incorrect with saying about an MVB.. see lisa127's post just above.

I still recommend removing from a window area as it does make temperature control very difficult.

A closed chamber, a ceramic heater with a thermostat used 24/7 and a UVB bulb is what is needed.

If you choose to continue with a compact UVB that is up to you, but your tort does need the CHE and thermostat to ensure temperature stability.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

My point is 75 watt bulb on 10 inches by 20 inches of space can overheat regardless of your house temp. You need a temp gun!

Ultimately your set up is your choice of course. I'm assuming this is the first baby you have raised? I'm just trying to help.....

I have no issue with black heat bulbs, btw. I use them myself.