Got Herbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsross1970

5 Year Member
I was thinking about on a outdoor enclosure set up if I could use any herbs? Like most of the herbs that is in your kitchen. My wife already grows everything from fresh oregano,basil,mint,thyme,salantro,etc. Plus also we grow alot of our own veggies in the garden. We grow everything from rebarb,rudabega,horse radish root, swiss chard,strawberries,peas,etc. Anyways you get the point. I was wondering is there anything that I should look out not to plant for herbs or veggies when it comes to being in or near a tortise enclosure? Right now I'm looking for a pair of red foots or yellow foot torts at this time. I did what alot of people do when starting out. I bought a sulcata baby. Cute as he is, I didn't do the right thing and do some research first. Thats what happens when you go to a reptile expo sometimes and not think. Anyways I am looking for a home for him now. I want to make sure he has a good life to look foward to. I've had other reptiles most of my life but torts are new to me. They can be very enjoyable. Lots of character....more than a snake or large lizard...lol. Anyways if anyone can give me some ideas on herbs and other edible plants....common names please. That would be a big help. Thanks...

moswen

5 Year Member
I don't think strawberries or tomatoes or really any fruits are good to plant in a sulcata enclosure bc they're very attracted to them and they'll probably eat more of them than they should. I know oregano is very high in fiber so that will be good, but I honestly don't know the properties of very many herbs... I think the herbs will all be fine, but that's just my opinion, I have no scientific facts to back that up. I also believe that most of your vegs will be okay, but I do know potatoe leaves are poisonous, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that carrot greens are poisonus to sullies as well. Chard is very very good for your tort, as I'm sure you know. Sorry I can't give you more information than that!! But this is the best forum to get information from, lots of experienced people here!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Where do you live? How old is your Sulcata?

Carrot tops are OK to feed, but not potato or tomato leaves. Limit tomatoes because of the acid in them. Safe things that I grow/feed include cilantro; collard, turnip, & mustard as well as dandelion greens are great; arugula; squashes are good, including leaves & flowers. During fresh corn season I give my guys a cob of corn about once every 2 weeks or so. They would love it if I would give them more, but it is pretty high in starch, ie, sugar. They eat it like pac-mans! I am growing corn this year so I can feed the leaves to the torts. Also you can give them bell peppers; chickory; cucumber leaves and flowers; grape leaves; green beans & leaves; hibiscus leaves & flowers; mulberry leaves.
Hope this helps.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.