Grass in outdoor enclosure

Brad and Alena

5 Year Member
Hello,

I recently built an outdoor enclosure and put sod(grass) in it. Not thinking my wife brought up that the fertilizer or chemicals they used when growing the grass may cause and issue. The out door enclosure is not his full time home. Will this be an issue if he eats the grass? Can keep watering it to dilute any chemicals on it? I wish I would have thought about before I did it, but too late now.

Thoughts please!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1465672862387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1465672862387.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 23

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Water it heavily for a while before you let him loose in it. Give it 3 weeks or so (probably less...but better to err an the side of caution). Fertilizers are fine after a few days provided there are no granules present he might eat. Pesticides are the bigger concern...but without knowing what was used it is hard to know how soon they breakdown or dissipate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This could be a major problem. It really depends on what chemicals were used in the growing of this particular batch of grass. I would contact the place where you bought it and ask for the source. Then you can contact them directly and ask them what their protocol is.

It is not too late now. Your tortoise is still alive and well. If you have to scrap the sod to save your tortoise, it will be worth it.

The other problem with sod is the plastic netting they grow it on. It can be a hazard in several ways.

Brad and Alena

5 Year Member
Thanks! Tracking down the source would be impossible. My plan was to water heavily for a couple weeks and make sure he has food when he is in there. This his not his "all the time enclosure" we just put him in there on nice hot days. There is no granular fertilizer that I can see. On a second note, we are in Canada and it is illegal to use chemicals that the states can still use. Our weed and lawn companies have to use organic treatments now. So unless the sod grower is doing things illegally them there should be no super harsh chemicals.