grassland food and substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
saw some talk about zoo med grassland food heres my 2 cents my torts will not eat it even hidden in some greens they will eat mazuri though there vote counts soo i dont use the zoo med, next i use timothy hay for a substrate any advise yea or ney on this thanks for the advise in advance john

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

I don't like hay for a substrate for leopards because of the moisture issue. Depending upon how big your leopard is, he may need more humidity than a hay substrate has to offer. If you get the hay wet, it will mold.

John

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi John:

I don't like hay for a substrate for leopards because of the moisture issue. Depending upon how big your leopard is, he may need more humidity than a hay substrate has to offer. If you get the hay wet, it will mold.

the hay was a recommend from some well known brothers i also keep a humid hide with damp sphagnum moss canadian of course they are not full grown one is 2" one is 2.5" one is 2.75

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree hay is a less than perfect substrate. It molds quick and is a little smelly in the house. We use cypress mulch, others have success with things like aspen bedding and coir/soil mix and a few others.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I do what Richard Fife shows in his Leopard Tortoise book. As long as you have the damp / humid area seperated from the hay and don't get it wet, it would be ok. Just takes a little more effort to make sure it doesn't get wet. I wouldn't recomend it all by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.