Grazing Aldabras

ben awes

5 Year Member
Wow, fantastic! Thanks so much for all the detail, really great. You've got a dream place there to raise these beasts and they look healthy and happy. Wish I had that much room. I might have to move someday soon! To be honest, 56 lbs @ 5 years sounds like slow growth. If am recalling correctly I think many grow faster than that if allowed. Yours are wonderfully smooth - which again supports the slow growth approach. Really nice husbandry!

Ben

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Wow, fantastic! Thanks so much for all the detail, really great. You've got a dream place there to raise these beasts and they look healthy and happy. Wish I had that much room. I might have to move someday soon! To be honest, 56 lbs @ 5 years sounds like slow growth. If am recalling correctly I think many grow faster than that if allowed. Yours are wonderfully smooth - which again supports the slow growth approach. Really nice husbandry!

Ben

Thank you Ben! You're right this forum is great. I don't get much appreciation from non-tortoise friends .... or the girlfriend when the Lowes credit card bill arrives!

If you do consider moving- The stretch of Florida between Ocala and up through the panhandle has relatively inexpensive lush green land great for grazing tortoises!

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
You should have named them Briggs and Stratton, lol

Great looking heard, welcome to TFO

Hahah! I though about that too late and couldn't change their names... Maybe the next two. Thanks for the welcome!

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
Kennedy, in her satiated pose. She has the semi-circular low set nares like all Aldabras... yet her's seems more prominent than the rest of the herds. She also seems to have relatively large prominent eyes that add to her personality.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408239110.554943.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408239134.638149.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408239184.621364.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This would be a great thread to keep updating like ALDABRAMAN does on his. We love pics. Btw, any of these from Greg (ALDABRAMAN) I'm thinking maybe at least Tico? If not the others too?

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
Yes! Tico is of Aldabraman stock. Tico is a son of Sandy and he went by another name (that I don't recall) while being started at Aldabraman's program. I'll try to keep this thread up weekly! Thank you for the interest :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408329827.948084.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great thread! Its obvious that a lot of thought and a lot of effort went into making the "Caddy Shack".

Its so nice to see everything done right sometimes.