Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix & Dandelion Seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I finally got my tortoise seed mix and dandelion seed from Carolina Pet Supply. Was just wondering about planting directly into the coco coir in my little sulcata's habitat. Do I have to plant it in something else, or can I just plant it directly into the coco coir? Wondering about the depth to plant it? Can I just pull back a top layer of cc in a small area, sprinkle some seeds, and then recover? Never planted grasses before so wondering if there's anything I should know. I have UVB light and humidity at around 70% in the area I'd like to plant it.
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I plant mine right in the coir in the enclosure. I sprinkle on top, moisten, pat down. Grows pretty good. I can't say though if the dandelion seeds do good. Everything gets eaten while still to young to tell if any of it was dandelion. He loves it though.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
marcy4hope said:
I finally got my tortoise seed mix and dandelion seed from Carolina Pet Supply. Was just wondering about planting directly into the coco coir in my little sulcata's habitat. Do I have to plant it in something else, or can I just plant it directly into the coco coir? Wondering about the depth to plant it? Can I just pull back a top layer of cc in a small area, sprinkle some seeds, and then recover? Never planted grasses before so wondering if there's anything I should know. I have UVB light and humidity at around 70% in the area I'd like to plant it.
Thanks!

The best growing temp for most grasses and weeds is from 60-65 too cold for most chelonians... You can plant directly in the enclosure or in another container... I have an area outside that I plant in...

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
wellington said:
I plant mine right in the coir in the enclosure. I sprinkle on top, moisten, pat down. Grows pretty good. I can't say though if the dandelion seeds do good. Everything gets eaten while still to young to tell if any of it was dandelion. He loves it though.

thanks. i appreciate the advice. i spread some today in a section of the enclosure and will see what happens. can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.