Seed mix for Russian??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
I have a wonderful Russian tortoise that I am absolutely in love with. I was wanting to actually plant some food for him this year. I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good mix that I can get in a store or direct me to a thread that is selling a good seed mix.

The only thing is that the area I need to plant them in gets a lot of sun and little to no shade so the plants would have to withstand the immense heat and light of the summer sun. Please let me know!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
You can source specific weed seeds on eBay and make your own mix. This is what I do. Mix the seed with sand to help evenly spread the seed. Use a guide such as tortoiseTable for the weed/flower seed you are after.

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
Carolina Pet Supply sells a seed mix specifically for russians. I've had good luck with it growing in the sun

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
The Carolina seed mix grows in full sun here as well. But my tort didn't really care too much for the plants it produced. He tends to favor all the "decorative" plants.

You could also buy some organic mescalin mix seed which is available just about anywhere. It's a tasty mix of various lettuces. Also grows in full sun. With water, of course.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Carolina has five different grass seeds in the russian seed mix. For me, grass already grows in my russian enclosure, so it's advantageous as well as less expensive to source my own weed seed and mix it myself.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have to agree with Cowboy Ken, here. Russians don't eat much grass so it can take over.
Check out the seed mixes on Tortoise Supply or Arizona Tortoise Compound.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I bit expensive but I like the no grass in it. I also like the leopard in the first picture.

Case in point, I paid $13.24 for 1-1/2 lbs of chicory seeds. I feel chicory phat, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.