Grazing tortoise seed mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, I am thinking about getting grazing tortoise seed mix for my incoming sulcata hatchling. I was wondering if I could use this for my russian as well? It contains the following: Crimson Clover
Red Clover
Creeping Red Fescue
Turnip Greens
Fescue
Kentucy Blue Grass
Orchard Grass
Wheat Grass
Oat Grass
Rye Grass
Chia
Chicory
Timothy Grass
I sure hope I can because I think that 1/2 pound is going to last a long time for just the sulcata. I know that Carolina Pet Supply also carries russian tortoise seed mix, but I just was hoping the grazing tortoise seed would be okay. Thanks!

I did just read that someone said that it would be okay for a russian. But, confirmation would be great :). Maybe some of you who do use it for your russians as well?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
JoesMum said:
Looks very tasty. Your Russian probably won't touch the grasses, but it will do no harm :)

Well, hopefully he will try the other seven ingredients. Thank you for your input :). I now shall purchase.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks good, Russians dont eat alot of grass tho.
But he should eat it and eat some grass as well :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I bought the Russian Tortoise Seed Mix from Carolina Pet Supply several weeks ago, and planted the seeds in pots on my porch. The plants have sprouted and growing quite fast.

Russian tortoises eat mostly forbs, but they do occasionally eat a little bit of grass, too. I think my Russians will appreciate these fresh greens, once these plants are big enough in a few weeks. :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I bought the Russian Tortoise Seed Mix from Carolina Pet Supply several weeks ago, and planted the seeds in pots on my porch. The plants have sprouted and growing quite fast.

Russian tortoises eat mostly forbs, but they do occasionally eat a little bit of grass, too. I think my Russians will appreciate these fresh greens, once these plants are big enough in a few weeks. :)

I sure hope my russian can enjoy the other great items in the mix. That is good to know that they sprout fast. I just ordered them today, so I expect they will be here by the end of the week. I will put them in a nice strip of soil and place them in the sun.
Do you ever plant them in their enclosures? I was wondering were the process goes after they get a good height for munching. I am planning on finishing the construction that I have started to make for my russian and new sulcata. I plan on planting them over there as well.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Blake m said:
I sure hope my russian can enjoy the other great items in the mix. That is good to know that they sprout fast. I just ordered them today, so I expect they will be here by the end of the week. I will put them in a nice strip of soil and place them in the sun.
Do you ever plant them in their enclosures? I was wondering were the process goes after they get a good height for munching. I am planning on finishing the construction that I have started to make for my russian and new sulcata. I plan on planting them over there as well.

Last summer I did plant wheat grass and bird seed in their enclosures, but I have abandoned the practice. Here's why:

1) Although the plants do grow somewhat in coco coir, they really need soil to grow well, and as I have mentioned in other threads, I only use pure coco coir now to avoid infestations of fungi and insects. Without true soil, the plants don't really get past the sprout stage.

2) Even if the plants do grow, the tortoises gobble them up so fast, that it's not really worth it to plant them in there in the first place.

So, that is why I sewed the seed mix in pots on my porch this summer instead. :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Okay, good to know. What exactly is "pure" coco coir? I have organic coco coir from orchard supply.
I am planning on planting some of the seeds in the outside enclosure. Hopefully it works out as planned!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Personally, I would get the Russian mix and let them each graze on that in there individual enclosures. The sulcata will eat all the broad leaf stuff, and it's good for them, but the Russian will likely not eat the grasses. As Joes Mum said it will do no harm, but it seems a waste to me, AND the grass comes in so thick that they can't hardly walk in there. Of course, ahem..., I might have been a little over zealous with my seed dispersal too... Just sayin'...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Blake m said:
Okay, good to know. What exactly is "pure" coco coir? I have organic coco coir from orchard supply.
I am planning on planting some of the seeds in the outside enclosure. Hopefully it works out as planned!

When I say "pure coconut coir," I just mean that I am using 100% coco coir, without mixing it with anything else. Some folks like to mix different substrates together, but I am finding that I like using just coco coir all by itself.

Tom said:
Personally, I would get the Russian mix and let them each graze on that in there individual enclosures. The sulcata will eat all the broad leaf stuff, and it's good for them, but the Russian will likely not eat the grasses. As Joes Mum said it will do no harm, but it seems a waste to me, AND the grass comes in so thick that they can't hardly walk in there. Of course, ahem..., I might have been a little over zealous with my seed dispersal too... Just sayin'...

Testudo species do feed mostly on forbs, but Russians graze a bit more than their congeners, although nowhere near as much as Gopherus species or sulcatas.

My pair of Russians do seem to fit that bill. When I take them outside, they like to eat grass every once in a while, and when I give them wheat grass or birdseed, they eat some grass there, too. Certainly, though, their mainstay is leafy greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.