Greek care questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Ok so I made a care sheet for myself so I wouldn't forget :p and I was wondering if I needed to change something on it or add anything.

CARE FOR GREEK TORTOISES:

Average size: 8-10"

Food:
High fiber, low protein. Dust with calcium +D3. Feed a varied diet.
Romain lettuce, red and green leaf lettuce, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, cucumber, most weeds (dandelions, crabgrass, etc.), bananas, squash, Timothy hay and alfalfa (mostly for when full grown.)

Not to eat:
Iceberg lettuce, to much fruit, high protein.

Temps/lighting:
Needs UVB,
88 degrees on warm end, 75ish on cool end. Basking spot of around 95-100. Never below 65.

Caging:
Substrate: cocoanut coir fiber, peat and sphagnum moss, cypress mulch.
At least 40 gallons for one tortoise (2' by 4'), the bigger the better.
Always provide clean fresh water.

Soak once a week and take outside in sun for as long as possible.

Sorry if it got messed up, doing this from my iPod

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I'd take out the bananas, and the hay. "NO" fruit for them. I've never had any of mine eat any hay, they just aren't interested in it. (Sulcata or Leopards maybe, but not Greeks)

Get some Mazuri and keep it handy for the times you can't get your other food. It will happen :)

The rest looks pretty good to give yourself a plan. You may find things you want to change as you go along.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
This is pretty much how I take care of my Greek, but like CGKeith, would suggest taking out the hay and fruit. Al'tuin also gets a decent amount of fresh grass (which she doesn't much care for) and weeds like clover (which she loves) in her outdoor enclosure during sunshine time! I live in a colder climate so I'm getting her out as much as humanly possible right now.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
CGKeith said:
I'd take out the bananas, and the hay. "NO" fruit for them. I've never had any of mine eat any hay, they just aren't interested in it. (Sulcata or Leopards maybe, but not Greeks)

Get some Mazuri and keep it handy for the times you can't get your other food. It will happen :)

The rest looks pretty good to give yourself a plan. You may find things you want to change as you go along.

Ok thanks! I changed it on the actually paper (can't edit post)

NudistApple said:
This is pretty much how I take care of my Greek, but like CGKeith, would suggest taking out the hay and fruit. Al'tuin also gets a decent amount of fresh grass (which she doesn't much care for) and weeds like clover (which she loves) in her outdoor enclosure during sunshine time! I live in a colder climate so I'm getting her out as much as humanly possible right now.

Ok thanks, I forgot to add clover which hermy loves also! It's been pretty cold here to so he hasn't been out much yet.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a strong believer in daily soaks, or at least a few times a week. Especially for the little ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.