Green pee, urates and diet

dmccld

Location (City and/or State)
BOGALUSA
I have a 9-month-old sulcata. Recently I have tried to vary her/his? diet by pulling some greens and leaves from the yard. She is primarily eating ryegrass, some arugula with ground-up tortoise pellets. In the last week, her pee has been green and has been passing a lot of urates. She has always passed some but this is more than usual. I did give her some spring mix and I am wondering if the spinach could have been the problem. She gets a bath every morning. Is this a result of diet, dehydration or something else. I keep the temp at 90 degrees during the day and in the '80s at night. In all other regards, she/he seems healthy.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It likely is just Diet related. I believe it is common to see more urates after eating foods with a higher content of oxalic acid, like spinach, but I am not sure about the green pee.

Sa Ga

MN
Get her to a vet if it doesn't clear up soon. Do a blood panel to make sure everything's working well. Better safe than sorry!

When I got Morla, she seemed fine enough. Then about a month after having her, she suddenly started passing heavier urates, and then passed brown urine one night. The next day it was getting better (dark yellow), but I took her in anyway.

Checking her kidney, liver, etc. and blood levels, I learned that she has Chronic Kidney Dx. She had an overnight stay at the Vet's with aggressive supportive treatment and came home the next day with a new daily supportive regimen (since there is no cure for CKD, you can only do certain things to possibly slow progression). She is doing amazingly well (she is now energetic and strong!) and had I not checked then, her urine may or may not have cleared up color wise, but I would never have started the supportive care. Who knows how bad things would have gotten before I got her tested and if her kidneys would have become too damaged by then.

Keep us posted!

Mrs T

Melton Mowbray
Hi
Just joined.
Sorry if my question has been asked a thousand times before.
Got I Sulcata two days ago. His name is Mr. T. and he's 25 years old.
I want to buy fresh Hibiscus, cacti and also some hay he can eat. Don't know where to buy though. Any suggestions?